Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Using a Mac laptop as a Screen for the K5

I have searched for the past week a way to put my camera screen on my laptop. I can do it with the TV with the mini-HDMI - HDMI cord but I can't get it up on my laptop!! Frustration!

I don't *need* to control it through the laptop, even though that would be nice it looks like the software I found only works with windows.

I just need to be able to see the frame set up and whether it's in focus etc through my laptop, any thoughts, help, advise?

05-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paceyy Quote
I have searched for the past week a way to put my camera screen on my laptop. I can do it with the TV with the mini-HDMI - HDMI cord but I can't get it up on my laptop!! Frustration!

I don't *need* to control it through the laptop, even though that would be nice it looks like the software I found only works with windows.

I just need to be able to see the frame set up and whether it's in focus etc through my laptop, any thoughts, help, advise?
Laptops don't generally support video input. You would need external hardware such at this to capture the camera's video stream:

Elgato Game Capture HD60 10025015, 1080p Capture with 60 fps - Newegg.com

It might be cheaper just to get an external monitor. Also, remember that the camera only streams what you see on the display, so it's not possible to zoom in beyond that (640x480px).

There is no tethering / remote control software for the K-5 that I know of apart from PKTether, which as you noted is for Windows (and is fan-developed). The closest you could get is the FluCard that works with the K-3. Even the K-S2, with its native wi-fi, currently only supports smartphones and tablets.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2015, 11:15 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well that makes sense. I plan on getting an external monitor for another purpose in the future so it may just have to wait until then. Thanks for that Adam!