Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cleaning a Kx sensor

I recently dunked my Kx in a stream for a few seconds and was lucky to find it still worked after it had dried out. However, there is a small ring of dirt that appears on my shots. I think it is the residue left when a droplet of water evaporated. Although this does not always show on the "dust alert" screen, it is very visible as a tiny spot on the sensor when I elevate the mirror. Shaking the sensor and blowing it with an air blower doesn't remove it. I have read a lot of the sensor cleaning threads in this forum and most seem to advise against a novice cleaning the sensor with a wet solution kit. The advice is to let the professionals do it, to avoid damaging the sensor. Is the procedure that risky? Comments please.

06-02-2015, 12:36 AM   #2

Apparently our experiences may be different, but I clean the sensor about 1-2 times a year. I mean exactly the wet cleaning.

Is it risky? Maybe, it depends. If You have right tools and don't press to hard on surface of the sensor, then...

Right tools? Yes! If You are cleaning APS-C sensor, then You must use APS-C cleaning swabs (not swabs for FF). Secondly, there must be special cleaning liquid (not enough just to isopropyl alcohol).

If You follow these advices here in the clip accurately, then You don't take any risks.
06-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aksel Quote
Apparently our experiences may be different, but I clean the sensor about 1-2 times a year. I mean exactly the wet cleaning.

Is it risky? Maybe, it depends. If You have right tools and don't press to hard on surface of the sensor, then...

Right tools? Yes! If You are cleaning APS-C sensor, then You must use APS-C cleaning swabs (not swabs for FF). Secondly, there must be special cleaning liquid (not enough just to isopropyl alcohol).

If You follow these advices here in the clip accurately, then You don't take any risks.
The Wet Method of Cleaning a Digital SLR Sensor - YouTube
Aksel, thanks for sharing that video. I'll go to my local camera shop ASAP and buy a wet cleaning kit and have a shot at cleaning the sensor myself.
06-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
Aksel, thanks for sharing that video. I'll go to my local camera shop ASAP and buy a wet cleaning kit and have a shot at cleaning the sensor myself.
I recently received my order for a wet cleaning kit to try to remove the circular dirt spot on the sensor. I have never done a wet cleaning and was a bit anxious about the possibility of doing damage. I raised the mirror and blew off any loose dust with a rubber squeeze blower. Then, following instructions in the kit, I took a wet swab and did a left and then right wipe of the sensor without lifting the swab. I saw immediately that the circular dirt spot, that was visibly observable on the sensor, was still there but a little fainter. I repeated the procedure with a second swab and this removed the spot but I must have dislodged more dust from the edges of the sensor since I could see these as smudges with my naked eye. They were also visible on photos I took. The interesting thing is that the dust alert feature on the Kx was not sensitive enough to show this. I used a third swab and I believe that the sensor is now satisfactorily clean.

What I learned is that one is not likely to damage a sensor if one follows instructions, but don't expect that a single swabbing will always do the trick

06-11-2015, 04:48 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
...but don't expect that a single swabbing will always do the trick
That's true. But it is good to know that your sensor cleaning was successful!