Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
o-gps1 problem

Hi,
I purchased one O-GPS1 module used a while ago, Yesterday I wanted to use it for the 1st time, especially to get GPS infos on my photos in the field...
However, the locking lever seems jammed, I cant turn it to the right to lock it on the hot shoe....

Does anyone has experienced this before ?
I don't want to force it...

It should be quite easy to turn, as shown in this video, but on mine, I cant...

thanks for your help...

Last edited by Weevil; 07-23-2015 at 09:24 PM.
07-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two O-GPS1 units and neither exhibits this behaviour - both turn fully to the right to lock in place. But judging by the displayed information, the contacts are in the right place and the unit is giving you good data. Looks like you need a time sync from the GPS satellite, though, since you are still in 2011 in the video
07-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

does it move without being mounted? maybe some debris preventing it from doin so?
07-04-2015, 01:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you pushed it in far enough? If not, the locating pin will not go into the hole and thus the lever won't lock.

07-04-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks... The video above is not mine, I found it on the tube....

no it wont move without beoing mounted... I also try to push the pin with a small object, but no can do...

I maybe should remove the casing, but I fear that there are small springs etc hard to mount back...
07-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I tried to open it, I removed the 3 screws , but something is preventing me to remove the top part of the casing... like if there was another screw under the hot shoe "foot"...

I raise the foam and in the middle, there is a kind of pellicule that covers a center hole... (maybe it's the pellicule for the sticky part under the foam...), but I did not dared to remove it... It seems to me that there is some liquid stuff behind the film... but not sure.

Anyways, this unit is not functional at al if not locked now...
Maybe I'll dare to remove that film (maybe the other screw is there)

Maybe I'll dare to
07-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Question to those who have a functional O-GPS1 Module: Is the hotshoe base supposed to go "inside" the module body/case when one flip the "Fix" level ?
Here is a photo to illustrate what I am looking for...

There is a little gap, and also I found that the contacts are quite flush to the base, so I imagine that when one turn the "fix" level, it would go down, and reveal the hotshoe contacts ?

Or is it the "Fix" level that is going up to tighten the whole thing?

Thanks

---------- Post added 2015-07-20 at 00:40 ----------

Sorry, I just looked at the video I posted above, and I got my answer... Yes the metal plate is going into the body... so my device is jammed and it seems that the base don't move at all...

Attached Images

07-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

that's what mine looks like.....the gap is needed to mount and unmounts I suppose...then 'clamped' down when in fixed position......the pins do not seem to move at all...just the black plate they are on
07-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've found the solution! There is a 4th screw to remove the top panel, but it was hidden under the FIX level... we had to drill a small hole to unscrew it...

After dismounting, I've found that there is a small bearing+ spring that blocs the twist mechanism... the bearing had some rust... and would not roll out of its grove
I had the help of an electronic technician a my workplace to dismount everything, and tomorrow, we should have the time to re assemble everything
(some picture to come)

:-)
07-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

cool beans!
07-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You will see the level knob removed and the small spring + ball that fits into a longitudinal grove at the open position.

We can see traces of rust that prevented the ball to roll out of the grove, and it created a little crater on the plastic element (maybe I forced it a little too much)

I cleaned the rust by polishing the ball on emery paper, tried to remove the little craters on the plastic, so the ball would not bump on it, and added a drop of grease, and voilà !

Like I said above, tomorrow the electro guy will solder back the board on place (because a contact with the negative born for the battery had to be unsoldered to remove the board)
and we should be back in business ... hopefully !

These parts a minuscule, so some photos were taken thru a microscope (5-7x) ocular piece with my BlackBerry
Attached Images

07-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The electronic technician had a kind of challeng to solder back the board, but he successfully did it... so Bingo ! I have a working device now !

The Mr is really happy !

:P
07-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Weevil,

Thanks for posting this. I hope none of the rest of us ever have to deal with this but it is always interesting to see the insides of our devices.
07-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

awesome!! reckon condensation can have effect on a WR device!
07-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
awesome!! reckon condensation can have effect on a WR device!
I don't think this device was WR... no seals anywhere...
Like I was told, maybe the rust build uo after a long time of being unused... just the materials are of doubtable quality...