Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which EYEFI card for K3II

Hi just got a K3II & my 7 yr old EYEFI 4GB video card will not work??memory card error when I try to transfer pics.. it works on my other cameras ..
anyone know what new type works?

Thanks

07-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you not get a Ricoh Wireless LAN SD Card with your K-3ii?

Cheers,
Terry
07-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

You ideally need the Pentax 16gig OFC-1 Flucard. This will integrate with the K3(ii) allowing you to also use the card for remote control in addition to file transfer..
07-07-2015, 01:42 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi just got a K3II & my 7 yr old EYEFI 4GB video card will not work??memory card error when I try to transfer pics.. it works on my other cameras ..
anyone know what new type works?

Thanks
You could try to format it in-camera to see if that helps. But unless it's a class 10 card, its performance might simply be too slow to be usable in practice.

If you want to use the card for file transfers, I'd look into getting a newer eyefi card. If you want to also be able to remotely control the camera (at the expense of slightly more tedious file transfers), then the Pentax O-FC1 flucard would be the alternative.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you upgraded the Eye-Fi firmware? Firmware changes can make or break the compatibility with camera.

Sadly, if you need to transfer many photos such as for use with Lightroom AutoImport, the FluCard is a half-arsed design and actual immediate transfers is not possible! (you have to access via web browser and download images individually.
It is a really nice toy to control your camera, but without useful immediate file transfer the functionality is terribly painful.
** Of course, if that is your expected use (downloading very few images individually), then the FluCard may be a great option!

The newer EyeFi Mobi Pro cards work great.
The configuration of Mobi does not need Internet access like the old cards did. So use out in the field is possible.
Wireless connection to the card is straight forward and more simple than older cards, and reconnections seem to be more consistent.
Documentation and supporting software is as poor as ever. Great engineers, but customer-facing side is still done by part-time high-school interns or by slow-witted chimps. Not sure which.
07-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks..can the eyefi mobi be used for remote capture? that is my main use
@Terry is the flucard normally included with the K3II?
07-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks..can the eyefi mobi be used for remote capture? that is my main use
My initial K3-ii did not include the Flucard. I bought a K3-ii for backup recently and that did come with it in the box.
So may depend where/when you got it. I believe any sold in about the past year should include the FluCard.

The EyeFi cards are strictly for file transfer. Connect to the built-in WiFi and the EyeFi software or other third party software such as ShutterSnitch (on iPhone) can download the images immediately as they are taken.
Use of the EyeFi software on your PC is great in conjunction with Lightroom and other software that can *watch* a folder for new files and Auto-Import those new files into the collection.

If you do not have need for transferring all of your files as you take or if you want/need remote control of the camera, then the FluCard may be a cool option.

07-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Not to high jack this threat, but can the eyefi mobi pro send thumbnails to your smart phone and only transfer the files that you choose?

Thanks

Randy
07-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nope. All or nothing.
Although you can set your camera (at least newer Pentax, K5, K3, etc...) in "select" mode where you choose the individual images to send to your phone.
So essentially view "thumbnails" on your camera and then selectively send the ones you want.

There is also some select option on the older EyeFi pro X2 cards, but I never used it. I'm not sure how that worked.
I don't know if Mobi has something similar. It is a much simpler design (simpler but better in my opinion), so Mobi probably relies on camera capabilities.
07-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As far as I know. Mine was inside the K-3ii box, and I have seen others report that they received one.

Cheers,
Terry
07-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I am using Mobi Pro Eye-fi with my K-3 ... work perfect!