Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Live view glitches out, camera hangs on shutter release on brand new K-3 from SRS

I took my shiny new K-3 on its maiden shoot and just as I was heading back after taking about 200 pics, this happens:

Live view suddenly glitches out - tons of multicoloured lines appear across the screen. I turn LV off and back on, lines pop right back, and bam! Screen goes dark, nothing is responding, LCD is still showing last settings. Naturally, I do a battery pull. Camera boots up again, but LV causes the screen to go black straight away without the glitches this time and hangs the camera. Firing off the shutter without LV causes the same thing. Otherwise the camera browses pics, changes settings, and so forth just fine.

At home, I try the process of elimination: switch the 16-50 that was on the camera for the 10-20, switch memory cards, pull and charge up the battery, try different modes. Nothing makes any difference. I notice that the level is still updating on the LCD, doubt it's very relevant but I might as well mention this. I've tried searching the web for similar problems and while there's been plenty of people with K-5/K-3 hangs like this, a battery pull seems to solve this for at least a couple of shots. As for me, I can't take a single photo without locking it up.

My equipment consists of a brand new K-3 and Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 bought off SRS, as well as a used Pentax 16-50 f2.8 off eBay. My first foray into Pentax land :P At the time that this happened, I had the 16-50 attached. I should also note that I did spend a lot of time in LV, in fact my first thought was that the sensor must've overheated and the camera didn't gracefully explain this and shut down. Seeing how it's still not working now after several hours, that's clearly not the case.

Any thoughts? My only idea is to try and upgrade the firmware to 1.21 since 1.20 is described as having "increased stability" whatever that really means. Camera came with 1.11 installed. OTOH, maybe it's best not to mess around and return this straight to SRS for warranty, since this particular copy seems like a lemon.

08-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hfx Quote
I took my shiny new K-3 on its maiden shoot and just as I was heading back after taking about 200 pics, this happens:

Live view suddenly glitches out - tons of multicoloured lines appear across the screen. I turn LV off and back on, lines pop right back, and bam! Screen goes dark, nothing is responding, LCD is still showing last settings. Naturally, I do a battery pull. Camera boots up again, but LV causes the screen to go black straight away without the glitches this time and hangs the camera. Firing off the shutter without LV causes the same thing. Otherwise the camera browses pics, changes settings, and so forth just fine.

At home, I try the process of elimination: switch the 16-50 that was on the camera for the 10-20, switch memory cards, pull and charge up the battery, try different modes. Nothing makes any difference. I notice that the level is still updating on the LCD, doubt it's very relevant but I might as well mention this. I've tried searching the web for similar problems and while there's been plenty of people with K-5/K-3 hangs like this, a battery pull seems to solve this for at least a couple of shots. As for me, I can't take a single photo without locking it up.

My equipment consists of a brand new K-3 and Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 bought off SRS, as well as a used Pentax 16-50 f2.8 off eBay. My first foray into Pentax land :P At the time that this happened, I had the 16-50 attached. I should also note that I did spend a lot of time in LV, in fact my first thought was that the sensor must've overheated and the camera didn't gracefully explain this and shut down. Seeing how it's still not working now after several hours, that's clearly not the case.

Any thoughts? My only idea is to try and upgrade the firmware to 1.21 since 1.20 is described as having "increased stability" whatever that really means. Camera came with 1.11 installed. OTOH, maybe it's best not to mess around and return this straight to SRS for warranty, since this particular copy seems like a lemon.
Sounds like a lemon to me too. I'd get it exchanged if possible, otherwise repaired.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I would contact your seller (SRS?) post haste to arrange for return or exchange.

Steve
08-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hfx Quote
while there's been plenty of people with K-5/K-3 hangs like this, a battery pull seems to solve this for at least a couple of shots.
First I have ever seen of a hang like this. Yes, some have had hang issues (myself included) but NOT with colored lines on the LCD. I would seriously doubt you have the same issue as has been reported. This sounds like a loose connection or other hardware defect. Return for exchange ASAP.

08-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
First I have ever seen of a hang like this. Yes, some have had hang issues (myself included) but NOT with colored lines on the LCD. I would seriously doubt you have the same issue as has been reported. This sounds like a loose connection or other hardware defect. Return for exchange ASAP.
Thanks for providing the more detailed advice. I got as far as the colored lines on LCD part and not corrected by pulling battery and decided that the problem was fatal.

Steve
08-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
hfx

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies! I contacted SRS and they agreed to exchange for a new copy. I've also entered this camera in the serial number database together with a link back to this thread.
I just hope the replacement arrives in time for me to claim the cashback, since the closing date for claims is the August 15 and I still need to receive the new camera with its serial number for the claim.