Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

SD Card Overkill?

Would an SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-II Memory Card at 32GB & 200MBs be too much for a K-50?

08-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's probably capable of taking data in faster than the K-50 can shove it across. OTOH if you're the sort of person who shoots in RAW or RAW+JPG at maximum megapixels, and/or you take plenty of sequences in burst mode, in between transfers off the card, then 32GB is a reasonable size. I managed to half-fill one with jpg files a K-5 on a recent holiday, and I could easily have taken a lot more photos than I did.
08-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's probably capable of taking data in faster than the K-50 can shove it across. OTOH if you're the sort of person who shoots in RAW or RAW+JPG at maximum megapixels, and/or you take plenty of sequences in burst mode, in between transfers off the card, then 32GB is a reasonable size. I managed to half-fill one with jpg files a K-5 on a recent holiday, and I could easily have taken a lot more photos than I did.
Yeah, thats what I thought.
08-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

UHS-II Cards are incredibly expensive. I don't think the K-50 even supports UHS-I. Save your money and just get a good class 10 that has 30mb/s write speed. Otherwise, I recommend the Samsung 32GB PRO with 80/mb write, which will future proof you if you want to upgrade your camera in the future. It's a third of the price of the Sandisk, and unless you're shooting 4K video, I doubt UHS II will be beneficial any time soon.

Last edited by Dipsoid; 08-27-2015 at 03:50 PM.
08-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
UHS-II Cards are incredibly expensive. I don't think the K-50 even supports UHS-I. Save your money and just get a good class 10 that has 30mb/s write speed. Otherwise, I recommend the Samsung 32GB PRO with 80/mb write, which will future proof you if you want to upgrade your camera in the future. It's a third of the price of the Sandisk, and unless you're shooting 4K video, I doubt UHS II will be beneficial any time soon.
I already have an Sandisk Extreme 16GB 45MB.
No problems....just wondering if i go 32 or 64 if going to the next level is efficient.
08-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like a little overkill in specs and brand because I assume it adds something to reliability. For my purposes, I would buy a class 4 card if they guaranteed I wouldn't lose a shot.
08-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote
Would an SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-II Memory Card at 32GB & 200MBs be too much for a K-50?
Yes a UHS-II card would be overkill. It has a second row of connector pins that aren't supported by the K-50. Most SD card readers currently out there don't support UHS-II, either.

A Sandisk Extreme UHS-I card would also exceed the K-50's capabilities.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: