Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lightroom

Hi,
I bought the book even. But this thing is so hard to use.

I want to start fresh. It has such a memory of loading quick collections and previous collections and
I try new catalog but it wants to let me open only one picture.

Lightroom 5. I need to know how to just "start fresh" with a new set of pictures, without adding to the set I have
open right now. Thanks.

08-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check out Youtube, I had the same problem with 6/CC and found some good step by step videos. If they could make uploading as easy as iPhoto was on macs it would be great.
08-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV
08-28-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
przemomir

Yes, Adobe TV is the best training

09-01-2015, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #5

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnthonyMorganti

I refer most folks to him....great videos
09-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

There are two places where you can get help - training for Lightroom. The first is The Luminous Landscape http://luminous-landscape.com. You can purchase and download their training videos at a reasonable price. Michael has been involved with Lightroom since it was first introduced. The second is Lynda Online video tutorials & training | lynda.com. They have many training video tutorials and you can use them for free for the first 10 days.
09-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

I'm a relatively recent Lightroom user so I feel and understand your pain. I'm not an expert but I have gone on some epic searches to solve some problems.

Reading what you wrote, off the top of my head, I feel like I went through some of these same issues when I was first just getting used to the concept of how to properly use LR and it's catalog system. My initial issue was that I wasn't importing new images so I would wonder why I wouldn't see them even though they were in the same folder or subfolders of images that I could see. I just thought LR would find them.

QuoteQuote:
I need to know how to just "start fresh" with a new set of pictures, without adding to the set I have open right now.
Upon import to LR, depending on what method you choose to import your photos (move, copy, add, etc), it adds the images to your catalog and remembers where you told it they would be (or where you wanted it moved to). So if I understand your issue correctly, it seems you are importing images in the same folder so it shows up in LR under the same folder/set. If you don't want newly imported pictures to be in the same set or folder, either A) move the new images into a different folder then tell LR you want to import those images while keeping them in the existing location or B) upon inserting your SD card or wherever the images you just took are being held, tell LR to import them and move into a folder and location of your choice. Now in the Library tab you will see those new images and they won't be added to the other folder of images you were working on.

TLDR: Wherever you tell LR the images are or will be when you import your photos, that is where Library will find them.

Hope that helps. Once you figure out your workflow for importing and organizing your photos, everything makes more sense. The rest of it is just experimenting and seeing what others are doing. You have been given some great resources by the others here. Try not to look at it as a whole thing. It is overwhelming. Just tackle one issue at a time as you encounter it. Best of luck!