Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Solved a problem with a manual lens.

I had a funny problem and finally solved it, maybe it could help someone here. This morning, I was using my K3 with my new (very old) SMC 135mm f2,5 fully manual lens. I was using the green button to activate the meter in full manual mode, Most of the time, the camera completely froze and even removing the battery didn't help. The only way to make it work was to select MF on the focus selection knob on the left side. Leaving it at the AF position made the camera freeze. Anyway, the lens IS manual focus. Now all is working fine. Here is a sample taken with this fine lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

The camera may not be actually freezing, just not allowing the shutter to release unless focus confirmation is achieved. With manual focus lenses it is often very touchy to get focus confirmation as focus will not lock when it is achieved as do AF lenses. The slightest movement of the focus point on the image will of trigger focus detection and loss of confirmation. Enabling Catch In Focus may help.
08-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Enabling Catch In Focus may help.
As might turning the AF switch to "OFF"...

Steve