Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Mysterious sound from Pentax K3 II body even when not taking pictures

I got my K3 II today. New to Pentax; have been a Nikon shooter for last several years. Noticed something upon getting the K3 II that my Nikon does not do. When I just hold the K3 II and rotate it, like change from horizontal to vertical position (what you would do if you are trying to take a picture in potrarit mode), I hear a sound coming within from the body. Note that the camera is still switched off and I have not tried to take any picture yet; just rotated the camera. the sound is subtle but can be heard clearly. It sounds like something is loose inside the body and it's moving a little bit from one side to another. What can it be? Is it normal? Does everyone's K3 or K3II does this? I called Pentax/Ricoh and they said the SR is causing this sound and it's normal. Still I am not sure. Reason I am not sure is, I can hear this sound even when camera is switched off and not taking any picture, just rotating the camera makes this sound. Would the SR system have lose components that moves freely within the body so much so that it makes clear sound audible in a quiet room?

Can long time Pentax owners throw light on this please?

10-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is normal. And Pentax/Ricoh told you the truth - it is part of the SR subsystem.The sensor is stabilized when the camera is powered on by electromagnets. When power is turned off, the sensor is free to float and its movement is what you are hearing.
10-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup, perfectly normal. My K-5 does exactly the same.
10-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks jbinpg and MarkJerling. This is somewhat relieving.

To jbinpg: "The sensor is stabilized when the camera is powered on by electromagnets." - Does this mean that the we should not hear the sound when the camera in switched on? I just tested by powering the camera on and rotating the camera in the same fashion (and doing nothing else, not pressing any button) and I could still hear the sound, albeit may be little softer, but it's consistent; happens every time I rotate the camera. Is this also expected?

10-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Do not rattle the camera to listen to the "funny sound"! There are threads about this, we often get this question. Yes, its normal, its as things should be. This is part of the SR and all modern Pentax DSLRs do that (and probably other brand cameras with in-body SR, as well)

QuoteOriginally posted by dkg2707 Quote
Noticed something upon getting the K3 II that my Nikon does not do.
Yes, Nikon does not have in-camera shake reduction. This is why some Nikon lenses have shake reduction built in. With Pentax, you can use SR with any old lens - a prime, an ancient lens from 50 years ago, a brand new zoom lens,.. with Nikon, you only get SR with certain lenses.
10-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Normal ever since Pentax introduced IBIS (SR) many years ago.
Don't sweat it. Enjoy your camera.
10-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Oh Wow!, is that the same with the K3? Really I had no idea since I have a slight deafness in left ear and a bit more deafness in the right ear, I was completely unaware of that since I would not be able to hear it at all.

10-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I should have written that the sensor is free to float *until* SR is engaged. SR only becomes engaged when enabled in the menu and the shutter button is depressed for the required acquisition time before the shutter is released. When SR becomes engaged, the sound changes from a slight rattling to a soft humming.
10-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Sorry, I should have written that the sensor is free to float *until* SR is engaged. SR only becomes engaged when enabled in the menu and the shutter button is depressed for the required acquisition time before the shutter is released. When SR becomes engaged, the sound changes from a slight rattling to a soft humming.
Thanks for the clarification. This makes perfect sense now.
10-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #10

There's a link to this thread on this subject

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/94122-be...ntax-dslr.html

from this sticky thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/49283-us...ces-about.html