Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Spotmatic SP repair help

I recently found my dad's Spotmatic SP and already tried a roll of film in it.
Loaded another film into it, and tried to play around with the camera, (tried to take pictures at very slow shutter speeds) and got the mirror and film advance lever stuck.
Already found a solution to the stuck mirror, but with regards to the film advance lever, I have no leads.

Can anyone help? I already removed the base plate and tried oiling the gears, but the lever is still stuck. And can any spotmatic sp owner out there post a pic of the base (base plate removed) of a fully-functional sp? I just want to be sure if I put the screws and springs correctly.

Thank you very much!

11-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may find a photo of a K1000 with base plate removed, or service manual of the K1000. The older K1000s are very close to Spotmatic models.
11-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
Closed Account

You're getting your knickers in a knot...! Bite the bullet and ask this guy: Home his name is Eric. I don't know if he's still around but its worth a try. Or try this e-mail address: pentax27@aol.com
Good luck
11-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by han1 Quote
Can anyone help? I already removed the base plate and tried oiling the gears, but the lever is still stuck. And can any spotmatic sp owner out there post a pic of the base (base plate removed) of a fully-functional sp? I just want to be sure if I put the screws and springs correctly.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums. There are detailed service manuals for your camera on the Web, but servicing a camera is a specialized skill and many of the tools, lubricants, materials, and conventions are unique to the trade. There are two Spotmatic manuals available for download from Pentax-Manuals.com:

Pentax Manuals

As noted above, Eric Hendrickson is a good resource for camera repair. His rates are reasonable and his work is top notch.

Eric Hendrickson: Pentaxs.com

Steve

P.S. Oiling is not usually the first option for repair.

11-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is a Spotmatic F. The first photo is cocked. The second is uncocked.

I also opened up a Honeywell Spotmatic; it's very similar. I figure the SP should be similar as well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
You're getting your knickers in a knot...! Bite the bullet and ask this guy: Home his name is Eric. I don't know if he's still around but its worth a try. Or try this e-mail address: pentax27@aol.com
Good luck

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums. There are detailed service manuals for your camera on the Web, but servicing a camera is a specialized skill and many of the tools, lubricants, materials, and conventions are unique to the trade. There are two Spotmatic manuals available for download from Pentax-Manuals.com:

Pentax Manuals

As noted above, Eric Hendrickson is a good resource for camera repair. His rates are reasonable and his work is top notch.

Eric Hendrickson: Pentaxs.com

Steve

P.S. Oiling is not usually the first option for repair.
Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near the US, so sending my camera to him would be very expensive and basing on my country's poor delivery system, it would take too long.
Ah I thought that the gears just needed oiling because I have finished a roll of film without any problems.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
This is a Spotmatic F. The first photo is cocked. The second is uncocked.

I also opened up a Honeywell Spotmatic; it's very similar. I figure the SP should be similar as well.
Thank you so much for this! I just put everything back based on these pictures. It's indeed very close to the SP.

Thank you very much for all the replies! I've decided to just lay the camera to rest. It's difficult to find a film camera repair man close to where I live right now, that's why I tried doing it myself. I failed . But I really had fun trying out a test roll on the camera, so I think I'll just buy a new* Spotmatic body.

Thank you again!
11-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by han1 Quote
Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near the US, so sending my camera to him would be very expensive and basing on my country's poor delivery system, it would take too long.
Sorry, I did not remember to check your location.

Steve