Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Lens Hoods

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

First off I apologizie if this has been asked previously.

My question is: How long should a lens hood be? I see different size hoods so how do you determine which hood to use? Does it have to do with FL? Could I use the same hood on a 35mm and a 50mm? Is this why hoods on telephoto lenses are huge?

I like to buy hoods for all my lenses that don't come with one. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks

02-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hood length will depend upon the focal length of the lens - especially when you get into the wider lenses; you'll end up with vignetting if you aren't careful...

depending upon the lens, I try to get either the hood that was designed for the lens (OEM or replacement) or just a metal hood that'll screws into the filter threads...
02-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too like the OEM hood, when possible. I also like the 3-stage type of folding rubber hood.
02-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are talking about the DA 35mm (plastic fantastic) and DA 50mm (nifty fifty) lenses then no, they need different hoods. First because they have a different sized hood mount. Second, I have both and picked up the recommended (from here on the forums) collapsible lenses and they are very different in size and "length".

02-14-2016, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

In the spirit of full disclosure...I believe any lens hood is better than no hood. So yeah, you could use the same hood for a 35mm lens and a 50mm lens. That doesn't mean the hood will be optimal for either lens though. Like you, I prefer to have hoods for all my lenses. My wife and I like to visit garage sales and estate sales. Whenever I find a decent lens hood for a good price...I buy it. The vast majority of the hoods I find in these situations are marked for use with a 35mm camera. But when you're shooting with an APS-C DSLR, the angle of view is different so you need to take that into account. That means I can use a hood marked for a 50mm lens on my 35mm lens. And I can use a hood marked for an 85mm lens on my 50mm lens. And I can use a hood marked for a 135mm lens on my 85mm lens...and so on and so on...
02-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are some aftermarket replacements for bayonet hoods, some of the more common lenses have them, and they're less expensive. You can probably find some by searching the forums here. I bought a replacement for the 55-300, but had to buy OEM for the 18-135 (that was 5 years ago). For older M-or A- series lenses you may need to use the collapsing rubber hoods which screw into the filter ring.