Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

PORTLAND OREGON k 50 HELP

Anyone having a PENTAX K50 in Portland. I need HELP with my K50, can someone meet with me and show me a little about the camera I'm married, retired and "DIGITAL DUMB". I'll by the coffee, I live in S.E..Someone in Portland has to have a camera like this.

05-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick henry hague Quote
Anyone having a PENTAX K50 in Portland. I need HELP with my K50, can someone meet with me and show me a little about the camera I'm married, retired and "DIGITAL DUMB". I'll by the coffee, I live in S.E..Someone in Portland has to have a camera like this.
If you do not mind taking a little drive to downtown Portland, you will find Camera World on Fifth Avenue. See an employee named Nate and I am sure he will be able to advise you properly on what is going on.

Tonytee
05-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a k30 which is the same as the k50 though wtih a bit more stylized body design. I live in NE, but I could meet you at the Freddies on Hawthorne and CC.

What kind of pictures are you having problems with? What settings have you used and do you know about the exposure triangle (shutter speed, aperture, and ISO)? You might benefit from joining some Meet Up groups - there is a DSLR group that has a lot of tutorials with many helpful people.
DSLR Photographers - Portland, Or (Portland, OR) - Meetup
Here's a link to their group and the events that are scheduled. I used to participate in that group a lot, but lately my schedule has been a bit tight.

Anyways, if you would like to meet, I'd be happy to go over some things.

Mike
05-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
If you do not mind taking a little drive to downtown Portland, you will find Camera World on Fifth Avenue. See an employee named Nate and I am sure he will be able to advise you properly on what is going on.

Tonytee
Camera World is no longer with us...RIP.

Steve

05-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Anyways, if you would like to meet, I'd be happy to go over some things.
I am across the river in "The 'Couv", but am also willing to meet up. I am pretty familiar with the K-50 having assisted a friend with her K-50 purchase and the post-purchase learning process and having fielded a lot of questions about the K-30/K50 cameras on this site.

BTW...there are a fair number of Pentax users in the Portland Metro area and also a fairly large number of Pentax Forums members.

Steve
05-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found the staff of Advance Camera very helpful. Also, Yvon Bourque's ebooks are great for becoming acquainted with you camera in ways the manual falls short: Pentax K-50 & K-500 e-book
05-04-2016, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #7

Another recommendation for Advance Camera in Beaverton.

05-04-2016, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just in case anyone may be interested, Advance Camera also has classes on the many aspects of photography. Their prices are very reasonable and the classes are there on site. I believe Jordan is the instructor. Good place to do business.

Tonytee

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 03:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Camera World is no longer with us...RIP.

Steve
Well, I believe they are under the name of Ritz Camera who purchased them in 2012. Another company bought Ritz Camera, but they have elected to continue using the Ritz name. I suppose for public familiarity.

Thanks,

Tonytee
05-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Well, I believe they are under the name of Ritz Camera who purchased them in 2012. Another company bought Ritz Camera, but they have elected to continue using the Ritz name. I suppose for public familiarity.
The Camera World/Ritz story goes back much further than 2012 and is fairly complicated. I was last in the store Fall of 2015 and it was still doing business as Camera World, but the last time I walked by (a few months ago) the store was empty. According to their Facebook page, they closed on January 18 of this year. The closure appears to have been sudden since there were posts that same morning encouraging people to take advantage of free on-street parking that day. Ritz has closed all but five of their stores, with Salt Lake City being the only store west of the Rockies.

The closure is sad for many reasons, but particularly since they maintained a good selection of Pentax gear and were enthusiastic about the product. Pentaxians were not the only losers, however. I believe they were also the only Leica dealer in Oregon and also had the largest selection of Sigma product.

Steve
05-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Camera World/Ritz story goes back much further than 2012 and is fairly complicated. I was last in the store Fall of 2015 and it was still doing business as Camera World, but the last time I walked by (a few months ago) the store was empty. According to their Facebook page, they closed on January 18 of this year. The closure appears to have been sudden since there were posts that same morning encouraging people to take advantage of free on-street parking that day. Ritz has closed all but five of their stores, with Salt Lake City being the only store west of the Rockies.

The closure is sad for many reasons, but particularly since they maintained a good selection of Pentax gear and were enthusiastic about the product. Pentaxians were not the only losers, however. I believe they were also the only Leica dealer in Oregon and also had the largest selection of Sigma product.

Steve
Good information, thanks. I suspect that the company that purchased Ritz figured they could turn things around business wise. There are a few camera sales/service centers here on the Westside that folded up because they could not compete with the prices offered on the Internet. Speaking for myself only, I had closed both my ebay account and Amazon account, with the intention of supporting our local businesses. Thanks again for the info.

Rgds,

Tonytee