Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 03:13 AM   #1

Hexagon symbol?

A new symbol has appeared on my Pentax K50 screen. It is like a red and green hexagon with lines inside it. What is it?

05-26-2016, 03:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do not have the K50 but I am guessing focus confirmation
05-26-2016, 03:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the back LCD or in the viewfinder?

In the viewfinder you have a) red overlays where the AF points are, and b) hexagon a little lower, which lights up with focus confirm.
On the back LCD you might have AF points if you chose the AF point manual select mode (instead of centre point or auto point selection). I think you hold Ok for 1 second to switch that menu to the normal one (ISO, WB,..).
05-26-2016, 03:42 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tish99 Quote
A new symbol has appeared on my Pentax K50 screen. It is like a red and green hexagon with lines inside it. What is it?
Sound like the custom image (jpeg profile) color indicator.

Is this the one?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2016, 03:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I do not have the K50 but I am guessing focus confirmation
I can't find this anywhere in the Godawful manual. I was using a remote control for the first time so I thought it was to do with that. The camera seems to be working OK, its just that I am about to go out on a photography walk with my course tutor and didn't want my camera playing up or doing unexpected things

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 03:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
On the back LCD or in the viewfinder?

In the viewfinder you have a) red overlays where the AF points are, and b) hexagon a little lower, which lights up with focus confirm.
On the back LCD you might have AF points if you chose the AF point manual select mode (instead of centre point or auto point selection). I think you hold Ok for 1 second to switch that menu to the normal one (ISO, WB,..).
Thank you for trying to help. I have just checked and I am on autofocus

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 03:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sound like the custom image (jpeg profile) color indicator.

Is this the one?
It is like that hexagon but without the letters. It is in the LCD screen on the top line in the middle. I have no idea what it is trying to tell me (Sorry - I am still a newbie at all this)
05-26-2016, 03:55 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It is like that hexagon but without the letters. It is in the LCD screen on the top line in the middle. I have no idea what it is trying to tell me (Sorry - I am still a newbie at all this)
Might be time to post a screenshot The custom image indicator on the K-50 does have the letters, unless you're talking about a small icon, which would simply be an indicator for the selected custom image preset, i.e. one of these:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2016, 04:10 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just looked at the screen on my K-50 and it's the image type, i.e., custom image, like Adam shows in his screen shot. It's right where you, Tish99, said it is showing. There is a small rectangle box thing and then the hexagon. Nothing to worry about, your camera is fine.

05-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can't find this anywhere in the Godawful manual.
As noted above, you are probably seeing the custom image type. Description of the feature is on pp 157ff and the icon you describe is shown in the live view diagram on p26. In all fairness, I know the manuals pretty well and knew where to look. The manual is not bad, just a bit terse. It could be worse. Sony's camera manuals are, ummmm..., "opaque".

Steve
05-27-2016, 12:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, you are probably seeing the custom image type. Description of the feature is on pp 157ff and the icon you describe is shown in the live view diagram on p26. In all fairness, I know the manuals pretty well and knew where to look. The manual is not bad, just a bit terse. It could be worse. Sony's camera manuals are, ummmm..., "opaque".

Steve
Hurrah it is the custom imange! Thank you both so much. I am taking a much-needed photography course and am changing a lot of settings and of course taking more note of both the live view and info screens. Fancy having a go at my next query? When looking at photos I have taken, my camera is showing a flashing yellow colour in the dark/black regions. This is fairly recent. And annoying. Very annoying
05-27-2016, 12:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have activated the low-light warning. This can be helpful, if you want to see, which parts of the picture come out pure black.
You can also activate high-light (overexposure) warning, when a red blinking colour will show, if you have overexposed (complete white) areas in the picture.
So you can decide if it is time to reshoot a picture with another exposure.
05-27-2016, 12:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hurrah it is the custom imange! Thank you both so much. I am taking a much-needed photography course and am changing a lot of settings and of course taking more note of both the live view and info screens. Fancy having a go at my next query? When looking at photos I have taken, my camera is showing a flashing yellow colour in the dark/black regions. This is fairly recent. And annoying. Very annoying
That's the histogram highlight / dark function. Not sure where you turn it on or off on your model, but in my K-5 it's called "Bright/Dark Area in the View Menu, Untick the box.