Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #1

Kx lens recognition problem

Hi,
I'm old, but new to the forum.
My K-x has developed a problem. The shutter will activate without a lens on, but not with a lens in place and won't autofocus. Using AV the screen only shows F----.
If I set "using aperture ring" to 2 in the menu it will autofocus and take pictures, but the settings on the screen can't be altered. and the exposure is out. The exposure compensation only lights up in this setting. If the camera is left for a while, the settings go to normal, but revert to the open settings when the shutter release or input wheel is touched. I've updated to 1.03. All my lenses work on my Samsung GX10 with no problem. Any ideas? I've picked up useful tips from the forum in the past, so I thought it about time to register.

Last edited by Webby; 10-19-2016 at 12:50 AM.
07-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #2

Original Poster
Webby

After my post yesterday I read DaveR's excellent K-511s mount repair post and saw that the mount spring should be soldered to a wire (ground presumably).As a test I held a piece of wire against the lens mount with lens in place and grounded the other end against the strap loop and everything went back to normal, so I made a temporary fix by using a small piece of thin self adhesive copper tape left over from a guitar cavity shielding project. I fixed it under the mount and ran it back to the tripod socket. I covered it with electrical tape. Not pretty I know, but everything works fine, it cost me nothing and I don't have to buy another back up camera. Thanks DaveR.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ20  Photo 

Last edited by Webby; 10-19-2016 at 12:43 AM.
10-19-2016, 01:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Update on the K-x . I removed the mount, and as I thought the black wire had become unattached from the gold coloured circular mount spring. I had to remove the front of the camera to retrieve the wire and re-soldered it to the mount spring using acid core solder. I now have a fully functioning K-x.
The post by DaveR about a K-511s mount repair has some excellent step by step pictures which proved invaluable.