Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Aperture problem and possible fungus?

Hey guys,

My new to me Tair 11 arrived yesterday. It's the old silver version, which seems to be in an amazing condition. Externally at least. Seems like it hasn't been used much and sitting for a long time. I have a number of preset lenses, including Soviet ones, but this one took some time to figure out. It seems that the preset ring moves only when aperture is wide open. Does that make sense? Also, I am not sure if this is fungus or not. It is difficult to see, only when the light reflects in a certain way. It doesn't really look like pictures of fungus that I have seen, but I am not an expert. It looks like a milky way of bubbles of a colour slightly different from the colour of the coating, so you can see them pop up when the light falls in a certain way. When you look directly into the lens, you can't see these things. Sorry for the poor picture - took it with my phone.

Last edited by IgorZ; 03-20-2017 at 11:03 AM.
06-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The front ring sets the aperture the second one closes it. So if you put the front ring on F22, the second one can close the aperture to that level. If you set it to F8 the second ring will only close it to F8, if you set it to F2..8 it will just be wide open all the time.
06-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The front ring sets the aperture the second one closes it. So if you put the front ring on F22, the second one can close the aperture to that level. If you set it to F8 the second ring will only close it to F8, if you set it to F2..8 it will just be wide open all the time.
Yes, that is typical of all preset lenses, but it seems that with my copy the front ring only moves when the aperture is wide open. Also, even when I set the outer ring to 22, the opening seems pretty wide still (about half the diameter of the front element). So I am not sure if that's correct, or it doesn't close all the way.
06-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't seem correct, don't know about the front ring not moving when not wide open. My Jupiter 11 also doesn't do that (or a least not all the way).