Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

K-50 becomes unresponsive

When trying to take a picture, the shutter will release and then the camera becomes unresponsive. The screen becomes dark, and there are no responses to any buttons that I press. It wont even shut off unless i pull the battery which seems to reset the camera and this cycle starts over again.

07-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sorry you are having problems with your K-50. There are a few standard questions:
  • How long have you had your camera? Did you buy it new?
  • What battery are you using? Is it fully charged?
  • Does this happen on every shot?

Steve
07-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sorry you are having problems with your K-50. There are a few standard questions:
  • How long have you had your camera? Did you buy it new?
  • What battery are you using? Is it fully charged?
  • Does this happen on every shot?

Steve
I bought the camera new and I have had it for about six months. The battery is fully charged and this problem happens on every shot.
07-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sgh-62 Quote
I bought the camera new and I have had it for about six months. The battery is fully charged and this problem happens on every shot.
Aperture Control Block failure strikes again.Or in other words your mirror motor. Send it in to be fixed.

07-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Aperture Control Block failure strikes again.Or in other words your mirror motor. Send it in to be fixed.
If so, this would be a new and unusual set of symptoms.*

For problems such as you describe, the usual suspect would be a power issue. Low battery, brand-X battery, cheap batteries with the AA adapter...all have been implicated in the past. Another possible cause might be moisture or corrosion in the camera.

I agree with niceshot that warranty service repair is probably your best option.

Steve

* At least as far as I am aware. The usual symptoms for that problem are underexposed photos, dim optical viewfinder, and/or (rarely) blurry optical viewfinder due to mirror control failure (aperture block controls both).

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-01-2016 at 02:48 PM.
07-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

early on with my K-50, I had this happen to me.... I thought it was unresponsive, but had unwittingly set the camera up to take a long exposure and did not realize it. Ended up having to remove the battery each time until I finally realized what I had done.

Changed exposure settings and was back to normal...

(just sharing my experience and hoping it helps you)
07-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're not set for a long exposure, it does sound like aperture control block failure, very similar to my K-30 when it happened. Fortunately you're under warranty.

07-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

The K-50 has the AA battery option correct? And you can set what type of battery you are using? Is the battery type set correctly? Try manual setting vs auto.
07-02-2016, 02:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When trying to take a picture, the shutter will release and then the camera becomes unresponsive. The screen becomes dark, and there are no responses to any buttons that I press. It wont even shut off unless i pull the battery which seems to reset the camera and this cycle starts over again.
Try using your live view, if you cant then it is the mirror motor