Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #1

Time lapse

Hi: I have a Pentax K5lls & I want to do a time lapse of a flower opening. I know this camera will do it. I've tried but missing a step somewhere Any ideas? I will be sure to share my Masterpiece here! Thanks

07-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unless you tell us what exactly what you tried and what happened, it's hard to know what is going wrong.
07-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
Camera is set up to take a pic every 10 seconds as a test. but when I want to view it, just pictures. I did it the way some guy on U tube told me? Do you know of a link I can go too? Thanks
07-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
CDW
Site Supporter

While it's possible to create time lapse clips within many cameras, you'll get the best results by shooting the desired number of frames, either RAW or JPG and using external software to compile, process the files. I use Time Lapse Assembler (Mac) because it allows output in the format of my choosing (4K, 2k 1080, 720, etc.) and I can adjust the frame rate beyond the options usually offered within a camera.

There are some basic rules I follow for creating time lapse files. Focus and leave AF off, select a fixed white balance rather than Auto WB, don't make the shooting interval so short that you fill up the camera memory buffer after a few dozen frames.

07-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Does anybody know how to do the time lapse on the camera. K5lls Don't have all kinds of software & stuff. Just want try it on one of my Hibiscus flower. Nothing fancy just going to send it to my sisters. Link or something? Thanks
08-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #6

Not sure in the K5II, but the K3 has a interval movie record drive mode while in movie mode accessed by pressing up on the back dial. It's set like in picture mode but combines photos taken into a movie file.
08-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's called Interval Shooting in the menus. Once you go into that you'll have to set the parameters AND start shooting from that menu. It confused me at first. I've only done it once, on a turntable to get a 360 degree turn with images every 30 seconds. I have yet to process that group of photos.

10-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I want to steal the thread. I've made time lapse videos in the past using just jpegs, but now I am mostly shooting RAW. I have about 600 photos of a sunset that I want to convert to a time lapse, but that's too many to edit individually. I was thinking of grouping these photos into several categories, editing one photo in each category, and then applying these settings to other photos in the same category. But then I wondered if transitions between these groups would be too noticeable... Should I just use jpegs straight out of camera?