Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Pentax 6x7 film advance not working

I've got a 6x7 camera which is not advancing film and won't fire. With the film loading door open I can advance the film with the winding lever. When the door is shut or if I insert the dry fire tool, it will not. Also when the back is not open I cannot move the film counter forward, the adjuster sounds freely without turning the counter.
Any help would be appreciated-

Thanks,
Steve

---------- Post added 07-27-16 at 04:47 PM ----------

Meant to say:

If the back IS open I cannot move the film counter forward

07-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the way it works. Try downloading the user manual- it has tips.

With back open feed film until line on backing aligns with mark. Close back. Advance until dial reads zero. You are all set.

To close back and dry fire you must use the key as indicated in the user manual, or apply pressure downwards with thumb, simultaneously rotating towards 5 on the counter whil closing back.

Clear as mud I'm sure.
07-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
By design, if you canʻt ʻfireʻ, you canʻt advance. Yes, you can advance with the door open so that you can load the film.

First: Is the camera getting power? Does the light meter work? How old are the batteries? Do you have a volt meter to test them? Is there corrosion in the battery compartment and the contacts need cleaning?

As to your last question; "the adjuster sounds freely without turning the counter":
Do you have a 67II or just a 67? The 67II came with a multiple exposure capability. Some 67 were custom modified to do multiple exposures also. If you camera has that activated, that would cause the film advance lever to move but the counter not go forward.
07-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can fire the shutter by manually rotating the counter past frame one and then inserting the special tool where the bump on the back pushes into the body. After doing this you can wind/cock the shutter and fire the shutter. It is how a repair person can test the shutter. The camera was shipped with the special tool.

07-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
You can fire the shutter by manually rotating the counter past frame one and then inserting the special tool where the bump on the back pushes into the body. After doing this you can wind/cock the shutter and fire the shutter. It is how a repair person can test the shutter. The camera was shipped with the special tool.
There is something wrong; the counter dial does not advance when I turn the little wheel in the middle. I have another 6x7 and I understand how to test them. The battery is good and the light meter is working.
The film advance lever moves and feels like it's ratcheting but it does not advance the film to the first frame when the back is closed.
I think something mechanically is not right. It's this a problem that might not be too hard to fix?