Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Questions about remotes for pentax k 3 and k 5 II

I am trying to gather information about what remote to get for a K 3 and K 5 II. I am planning on our 1st trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons NPS and will be using a tripod and/or monopod for supporting the cameras and a pentax 150 - 450 mm

I have looked at remotes but I am having problems:

1 in determining whether either the camera bodies have IF receivers in both the front and the rear

2 if I use a radio controlled remote instead how would I support the receiver as I plan on using a pentax GPS unit on the camera

3 How reliable are the 3rd party remotes vs pentax brand

Thanks for all help and comments

08-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I can shed some light on some of your questions. I've used the Pentax brand remote and various 'no-names' and all have worked just fine.....assuming the battery is good.

I've also made a wired switch from an old set of cellphone ear buds....all have worked just fine.

No first hand knowledge here, but I wonder if there is cell phone app that would accomplish the same thing??
08-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) K-3 does and I think the K-5II does as well but cannot confirm
2) Radio controllers need to be connected to the wired remote port. So it should be possible, given the correct cable length, to just use gaffers tape to attach the receiver to the tripod. AFAIK there is no need for the receiver to be attached to the hot shoe. That might depend on the model used of course. I have Cactus V5 flash triggers which also have a port for triggering the shutter via a small cable.
3) Pentax has no RF remote so you would have to use a 3rd party. For wired remotes, the Pentax ones are good and so are the better 3rd party ones but there are also a lot of really cheap ones which can be problematical. For IR I have used both the regular Pentax ones and 3rd party and see no difference. Provided the 3rd party one is of good quality, beware the really cheap ones.
08-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I am trying to gather information about what remote to get for a K 3 and K 5 II. I am planning on our 1st trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons NPS and will be using a tripod and/or monopod for supporting the cameras and a pentax 150 - 450 mm

I have looked at remotes but I am having problems:

1 in determining whether either the camera bodies have IF receivers in both the front and the rear

2 if I use a radio controlled remote instead how would I support the receiver as I plan on using a pentax GPS unit on the camera

3 How reliable are the 3rd party remotes vs pentax brand

Thanks for all help and comments
Both have front and back IR ports.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

"1 in determining whether either the camera bodies have IF receivers in both the front and the rear

3 How reliable are the 3rd party remotes vs pentax brand"

1- yes
2-buy a rail from the Orient with assessory screws on the ends $20 attach to your Q R
3-Very- but bring lots of spare batteries
08-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
2-buy a rail from the Orient with assessory screws on the ends $20 attach to your Q R
Better than my gaffers tape
08-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is large rails on heavy manfrotto notice flash triggers & accessessories screw on on the end of the rails. You can get smaller ones. Also note that I have put Universal Q R on the rails. I have smaller rails on a medium weight Velbon Tri-pod as well but not here unfortunately.

2 are hot shoe type and 2 are screw type also note 2 extra screw type visible on rail with hot shoe type

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5c  Photo 

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-23-2016 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling add
08-23-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I use the following wired remote switch with my K-3II and K-5IIS. It plugs into the camera and utilizes power from the camera battery (not much), therefore it does not require a battery itself.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
08-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Of course it starts to get more expensive but I also use Flucard: Chrome for Android ; Safari for iPhone/iPad
08-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Note that wired remotes for Canon are the same as those for eg K5 (the ones with the same jack) - and cheaper.
08-24-2016, 03:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a home made wired remote and a "DSLR remote" app. on my galaxy S5.
08-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I can shed some light on some of your questions. I've used the Pentax brand remote and various 'no-names' and all have worked just fine.....assuming the battery is good.

I've also made a wired switch from an old set of cellphone ear buds....all have worked just fine.

No first hand knowledge here, but I wonder if there is cell phone app that would accomplish the same thing??
I have an app on my Android phone that turns the phone into a remote control. I don't recall the name of it but a search of the play store should find it. I expect there is one for iPhone as well.
08-24-2016, 05:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
3-Very- but bring lots of spare batteries
I bring spare remotes to hold the spare batteries. Usually 3 of the ~$2-3 fleabay multi-camera ones. They're reliable, batteries last ages, but are easy to misplace.
08-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I use the following wired remote switch with my K-3II and K-5IIS. It plugs into the camera and utilizes power from the camera battery (not much), therefore it does not require a battery itself.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
This is also the one I use with my K3, and have been very pleased with it.
08-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I want to thank all who have commented and given suggestions

I don't believe that one can ask a stupid question but my wife says I stretch the limits.

With that thought in mind, how does one focus the dslr using one of these remotes.

I am an "old dog" and I usually use the view finder instead of the panel on the back of the camera, so if focusing using a remote, I guess I will have to "learn new tricks", is that correct?