Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New lens with internal debris

I am after some advice on a new DA 20-40 Ltd I have recently purchased.

If I look through the rear element with the apeture held open I can see a sliver of something on one of the internal elements.
It is little over a third of the way in from the top edge, and dark in colour, about 1mm long (a guess) and a quarter or third of that wide (another guess).

Would this have any affect on image quality? Being dark in colour I am thinking it will not reflect much light.

Apart from this, I think the lens is a good one.

On the one hand, as it's a new lens I am thinking it should have no defects, but on the other if there is no effect on image quality, I'd hate make an issue on this and end up with another lens that was not as good in other areas.

I would appreciate any advice on this, thanks.

09-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without seeing it, my advise would be to send it back.
09-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What, is it like a hair? Can you show a photo of it? Make sure the hair is not on the front or back lens element.

Do a test. Take photo at minimum focus distance, widest zoom (20mm), and f16 and EV+1. Photograph the blue sky or a white wall. Can you see a problem?

I would also recommend you use warranty to get the lens replaced or at least cleaned. I would try to get it replaced, but a service and cleaning might be enough (and possibly a partial reimbursement). I have read good things about that lens, so it would be a shame to carry it around with a bad feeling.
09-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Without seeing it, my advise would be to send it back.
What he said. A reputable dealer will accept the lens for exchange and pay for shipping both ways.

Steve

09-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If it looks like a mechanical part, send it back because it could be a broken part of the lens. If it's just a tiny hair or thread that never shows on photos, I wouldn't go through the return hassle. Lenses are not assembled in clean rooms and tiny specks of dust can show up in a new lens.
09-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies.

I have sent a message to the seller informing them of the issue, and am awaiting their response.

I'll also try a few test photo's this weekend, as suggested above.
09-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not only that, but if you ever want to sell it on you'll have problems. Definitely get it changed