Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dust particles in viewfinder.

It seems that there are dust particles on the top of my K-5 focusing screen. I prefer not to remove the screen in order to clean it, I am afraid of doing damage to the delicate parts. Whatever angle I use with a blower it seems that no compressed air reeches the upper side of the screen. What should I do to remove them? This dust annoys me a lot when I am framing.

09-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do not use any solvents to clean the focus screen.
09-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Do not use any solvents to clean the focus screen.
Or a lens pen. The carbon powder will fill in the mat finish and blot out your view.

Had to purchase a new focusing screen when a family member thought they could help..
10-01-2016, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't touch the screen with your bare fingers. I found it helped a lot using powder free vinyl gloves to make sure. Plan A is to use only a rocket blower but if the dust is stuck you can carefully use a very soft brush.
As dcshooter said, the instruction from focusingscreen.com should guide you through the process.

10-01-2016, 03:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Angle to blow air.

Thank you all for taking time to reply. Any suggestions where to put the nose of the blower for best results? (By the way, how can I turn on the spell checker for posting?)
10-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Taking the focusing screen out.

Plan A failed. Whatever angle I used for blowing air the particles remained. So I decided to take the screen out, plan B. I took it out and put it in four times before the results were acceptable. The difficulty was that some particles were gone but dust particles appeared in other places. I can not understand why, I kept the working desk as clean as possible, the air in the room was still, no window was open. Anyway thank you again for all the help. (I have found also the spell checker by the way).