Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focal Length

How can I see the focus length the camera is using? The reason I ask is that I am using an older Tokina prime lens and the option in the menu (input focal length) is not highlighted. I think it shows up in the edif data but that entails processing a picture. (I think my assumption is correct)

Does the camera not show the focal length of the lens currently attached to the camera?

Michael

10-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera?
10-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
How can I see the focus length the camera is using? The reason I ask is that I am using an older Tokina prime lens and the option in the menu (input focal length) is not highlighted. I think it shows up in the edif data but that entails processing a picture. (I think my assumption is correct)

Does the camera not show the focal length of the lens currently attached to the camera?

Michael
For manual lenses, you have to enter the correct focal length (or something close to it) at startup. So the focal length you should enter is the actual focal length of the lens.

AF lenses tell the camera the current focal length / zoom setting, and you can see that value in playback mode or in the EXIF. Note that there's still quite a bit of wiggle room and approximation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K3 UncleVanya

Michael

10-27-2016, 01:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax used to show focal length of the back LCD on older cameras, but they have stopped this since some years.
Now you have to look at the lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/318204-zoom-lens...wn-camera.html
10-27-2016, 06:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, unless I absolutely need the shake reduction I usually turn it off for my old manual zooms. Just revert to the old film day rule of thumb and you'll usually do fine. Keep your shutter speed about half your focal length and use proper technique holding the camera and you should (should being key) be fine. If you're a bit shaky, up the shutter speed to match the lens, or even go 1.5X the focal length.

Of course, with the longer the focal length, the trickier this gets.

In almost any situation in camera shake reduction is a tool, not a necessity.
10-27-2016, 06:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If this is an older prime and Manual Focus then Adam gave the best info. The shake reduction system needs to know the focal length to calibrate the movement. You should be prompted when you turn the camera on. If you change lenses you must power off and power on in order to get this prompt. If you aren't promoted make sure you have shake reduction turned on.

10-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info gang. Much appreciated.

Michael