Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #1

How many batteries for full-day photo shoot?

Hi, I have a Pentax K-70 just shooting single-frame shots and no movies. I will be going on a full-day photo shoot and definitely do not want to run out of battery power halfway through the day. I was at a beach today (cold day) today and took maybe 20 pictures in a half hour or so. When I got home the battery icon showed that it was maybe at 90% so I'm wondering how long a battery is expected to last and whether shooting on a cold day will drain the battery faster.

How any batteries would you suggest I have on hand for a full-day shoot in cold weather?

Thanks. Joyce Keay

01-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In cold weather bring all the batteries you have and keep the spares close to your body to protect them from the cold (they won't drain as quick) if you keep the camera warm this can help too. Depending on how many photos, how long exposure, length, etc you may need 1 to 4 batteries?
01-16-2017, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you mean by "cold"?
Actual temperature matters.
Some folks call 40F a cold day.
01-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is cold weather? Below freezing + long exposures + live view + shooting for hours on end, I'll bring as many as I can carry.

How about three batteries to be safe?

01-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd expect around 400 photos per charge. Minimize live view and playback usage to potentially increase that number

2 batteries should be fine, or 3 if you're really going crazy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In theory, the battery in the K-70 lasts about 400 shots but if you spend a lot of time in live view, or use the flash all the time, you'll get fewer shots/charge. Only you can say how you shoot and how intense the photoshoot will be in terms of total number of frames.

Tips:
* number your batteries somehow (permanent marker or a good sticky label on the end of the battery) and use them in sequence to avoid swapping a dead battery for a deader battery and to keep track of how fast you are using your batteries.
* be religious about having separate compartments of your bag for fresh and old batteries to reduce fumbling
* if the location of the photoshoot has wall power, bring your charger and start charging old batteries as you swap them out
* change batteries when you can rather than waiting until you have to -- if you keep an eye on the charge level, number of shots you've taken, number of hours since you last swapped batteries, you can swap at a smart time and reduce the chance of getting a dead battery at a crucial moment

Good luck!
01-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess it depends upon how you shoot, but I have never had to change batteries more than once in a shoot. I've had a 10 day vacation and dance shoot (>1800 shots) with the K5 work on 3 batts though the weather was mild, and I very seldom use live view.

01-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I guess it depends upon how you shoot, but I have never had to change batteries more than once in a shoot. I've had a 10 day vacation and dance shoot (>1800 shots) with the K5 work on 3 batts though the weather was mild, and I very seldom use live view.
We're talking different batteries with different capacities, though. 1860 mAh vs 1100, if I recall correctly.
01-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like others have suggested, there are numerous variables. I do all day events(no cold weather), and rarely need to change a battery, having one in the body and a spare in the grip. But I always bring a wall or car charger to keep one topped off at all times just in case.
01-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

To add my bit, in normal conditions traveling around taking pictures, maybe 100-200 a day, 500 maximum - one battery usually lasts, but that's cutting it fine, so I take at least two. I own three in all.
01-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-5 seems to run for at least a week at a time with daily shooting, but I always have a fully charged back-up in my bag. If you are going to be in near-freezing or freezing temps, definitely keep the spares in a warm inner pocket (it doesn't have to be against your skin). In fact, at low temps, if you get a low battery indicator, you can swap in a spare, and warm up the original and it will still have quite a bit of power left if you need to swap it back in.
01-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I carry three "Pentax brand only" batteries on day trips usually, including freezing (32 degrees F or below) or warm weather. One battery handles alot, then usually the second is enough for some more, but having the third battery is nice in case it is needed, especially in colder weather. It is good to keep spares in pockets by your body in colder weather to keep them warm or in something insulated.
01-17-2017, 04:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I only carry 2. I don't think I've ever used more than one in a day (k20, k5ii) unless it's -20C. If you're going to be taking upwards of 1000 shots - when does that ever happen? - Bring a charger or a 3rd battery.
01-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Hi, I have a Pentax K-70 just shooting single-frame shots and no movies. I will be going on a full-day photo shoot and definitely do not want to run out of battery power halfway through the day. I was at a beach today (cold day) today and took maybe 20 pictures in a half hour or so. When I got home the battery icon showed that it was maybe at 90% so I'm wondering how long a battery is expected to last and whether shooting on a cold day will drain the battery faster.

How any batteries would you suggest I have on hand for a full-day shoot in cold weather?

Thanks. Joyce Keay
Hi, Wow! Thank you all for your excellent advice. I'm on Cape Cod in Massachusetts so the temperature for the all-day shoot could be anywhere from 20 to 40 including sunrise shots and low-light shots - hopefully getting some time in a nice warm car and two meal breaks. Currently I have two batteries - the Pentax and a Wasabi Power battery. I have not paid attention to how long each lasts but will buy two more Pentax batteries for the shoot. I will try to avoid live view and playback modes. Joyce Keay

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 05:40 AM ----------

Thanks. Joyce Keay
Here's a quick follow-up question. I'd like to hear your opinions about the various brands of rechargeable batteries and nonrechargeable batteries. Would I be better off spending less for a couple of non-rechargeable batteries for this one day so I'd have two rechargeable and two nonrechargeable? Thanks. Joyce Keay
01-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi, Wow! Thank you all for your excellent advice. I'm on Cape Cod in Massachusetts so the temperature for the all-day shoot could be anywhere from 20 to 40 including sunrise shots and low-light shots - hopefully getting some time in a nice warm car and two meal breaks. Currently I have two batteries - the Pentax and a Wasabi Power battery. I have not paid attention to how long each lasts but will buy two more Pentax batteries for the shoot. I will try to avoid live view and playback modes. Joyce Keay

---------- Post added 01-17-17 at 05:40 AM ----------

Here's a quick follow-up question. I'd like to hear your opinions about the various brands of rechargeable batteries and nonrechargeable batteries. Would I be better off spending less for a couple of non-rechargeable batteries for this one day so I'd have two rechargeable and two nonrechargeable? Thanks. Joyce Keay
If you are thinking rechargeable batteries, no doubt its eneloops. You will never go wrong with those.

You will get answers here mentioning them too.