Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 04:20 AM   #1

PENTAX K-3 II and FULL FRAME LENSES

Let me present myself, I'm Stefano from Padua-ITALY. I bought my first PENTAX in October 2016, and I'm searching for lenses. Now, the buyer told me that I could try FULL FRAME LENSES (for PENTAX K-1), instead of asking APS-C lenses.
It's true? Because it will be interesting for the future....for next PENTAX FULL FRAME.

01-20-2017, 04:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Many of the full frame lenses (not all) are very large and heavy. I do not recommend them for the K-3. It is a joy to use and travel with the K-3 and DA Limited lenses.
01-20-2017, 04:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

FullFrame lenses has greater image circle, so if you put it on the K-3ii it works perfectly. It has a "crop effect". If you would take an image with the K-1 and the specific lens, the image taken by the K-3ii and the same lens is similar to crop the image on the computer.
01-20-2017, 04:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Full frame standard zooms aren't practical on aps-c. Not wide enough. But there is no reason not to use The 70-200 or 150-450 on aps-c. As a general rule lenses at the tele end work fine on aps-c (more tele) on the wide end they are less practical. Less wide so pretty big and bulky for the FOV you get. There is no physical reason why full frame lenses wouldn't work on aps-c. It's just that some are less practical than others.

01-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
thank you for support.
01-20-2017, 04:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you have a large potential to buy into a Full Frame body in the next few years, get the FF lenses.
If FF does not fit the needs for what you shoot, there is little sense in the extra size, weight and cost.... (other than the commission the sales person might make for talking you into the more expensive products)
01-20-2017, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stbozza Quote
Let me present myself, I'm Stefano from Padua-ITALY. I bought my first PENTAX in October 2016, and I'm searching for lenses. Now, the buyer told me that I could try FULL FRAME LENSES (for PENTAX K-1), instead of asking APS-C lenses.
It's true? Because it will be interesting for the future....for next PENTAX FULL FRAME.
They will work even better, Stbozza, since only the best half of each lens (the centre) is being recorded by the sensor.

Two of the very favourite Pentax lenses on APS-C for many years were the FA31 and FA77 - both are full frame.

If you like vintage, FF lenses going all the way back to the 1975 film era can be bought second hand.

01-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Full frame standard zooms aren't practical on aps-c. Not wide enough. But there is no reason not to use The 70-200 or 150-450 on aps-c. As a general rule lenses at the tele end work fine on aps-c (more tele) on the wide end they are less practical. Less wide so pretty big and bulky for the FOV you get.
With all due respect, I disagree. A 24-70 f/2.8 on APS-C has the same FOV range as carrying a stack of primes from approximately 35mm to 105mm on full-frame, but with even more flexibility. Sure, it's limited if your interests are in wider-angle photography, but it's super useful if - for example - portraiture is your thing. Of course, a 24-70 f/2.8 isn't small or light, but it's really not that bad. And if you give up a little on the wide end, something like the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is both small and light (it's my favourite general walk-around lens on APS-C). Practicality really depends upon the application(s).

As for a 70-200 f/2.8, it's very useful on APS-C (especially with the fast aperture) - no less so than the DA*60-250 f/4, really, and that's no light-weight either...
01-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

35 has hardly an acceptable focal length for a full frame zoom lens to start with. That's why those lenses aren't sold anymore. Pentax went to 28mm almost exclusively with the FA lenses. 24mm is now the standard for higher end lenses. 28 still being used on cheaper models. 24 translates to 36mm on aps-c. No matter what some people think or use it for 24-70 is not a standard zoom for aps-c. For that it is just too limited at the low end.
01-20-2017, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
35 has hardly an acceptable focal length for a full frame zoom lens to start with...
...No matter what some people think or use it for 24-70 is not a standard zoom for aps-c. For that it is just too limited at the low end.
35mm is a great focal length to start with - if it fits with your intended use.

I've never said 24-70 is a standard zoom on APS-C, nor am I now. I'm just stating that depending on your intended use cases, a 24-70 or even a 28-75 can offer a very versatile FOV range on an APS-C camera. It's only "too limited at the low end" if your intended use is wide angle photography, where a 17-50 would be better suited. For the portraiture example I gave previously, a 24-70 or 28-75 is hugely versatile on APS-C, way more so than a typical APS-C "normal zoom".

Of far greater importance to the OP, I think, is the difference in FOV when moving up to full-frame with the same lenses. Once you get used to a lens with a particular field of view on APS-C, that same lens on full-frame will feel very different and may not seem as useful any more - especially for the same subject matter. We've seen more than a few instances of people who loved the FA31 on APS-C, but found it to be too wide-angle in view on full-frame.
01-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

Yes, FF Pentax lenses are compatible with your K-3 ii APS-C camera. Your camera will accept all Pentax K mount lenses.

Beyond this is up to you, and you're getting a lot of personal opinion about the qualities of these lenses that you didn't ask for.

You can buy FF lenses now and use on your K-3 ii and then use them later on K-1.
01-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
've never said 24-70 is a standard zoom on APS-C
No but I did, so that is what I am talking about when I say they are not practical on aps-c

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
the difference in FOV when moving up to full-frame with the same lenses
You only gain FOV when moving to full frame. You can still do a aps-c crop and get the same narrow angle as on aps-c. You will have to get used to greater freedom from the limited use on aps-c. Primes are another matter because you more likely want to use its full resolving power, but that is also down to personal preference. Use the 43 or the 50 when you want a narrower FOV.
01-20-2017, 06:25 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simple answer: yes. Full frame lenses work just fine on the k-3ii.

More complete answer? Read this article: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
01-20-2017, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

All lenses produced so far for K-mount are compatible with APS class cameras like K-3II. The reverse may not be true because lenses designed specifically for APS usually have smaller image circle and so not compatible with FF cameras like K-1.

While K-1 has a larger sensor, it is not necessarily a better camera for all situations when weight of combined camera and lenses is taken into account. I find that K-3Ii (w/ battery grip) along with a Sigma 17-50, Sigma 8-16, Pentax 50-135 and a travel tripod is about the weight limit that I want to carry. The FF equivalent set will likely be heavier (and larger), meaning that I will not carry everything and will miss out on opportunities. It is true that fixed focal length (aka prime) lenses are smaller and I do have a good set, but I hate changing lenses; it is a personal preference.

Another point to consider is that APS class cameras like K-3II with good lens can already produce phenomenal quality. FF is only incremental based on my limited and brief experience with a Nikon D800 and on subjects of interest to me. The difference in cost between a K-3II and K-1 is enough to get one or two nice lenses. Finally, all these are just tools and nothing more.
01-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some are good on both. I have two FF-capable lenses I use a LOT. The FA100 f2.8 macro is not overly-large. All the 100mm macros are FF, and will remain so - don't mess with success. The Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro is big, but it's a very good performer. Both have aperture rings. Both can be used on ASPC or FF.

Depending on what you photograph, the K1 may or may not be a good fit for you. For me, it brings little benefit. I want the extra "reach" of the crop sensor.