Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Shooting outside with no WR

Hello everyone!

A beginner question:
I bought my first DSLR (K-5) for Christmas. I've been using Helios 44-2 58mm/f2 since then and I really enjoyed it but 58mm is just too zoomed in for me.
Now I bought the DA 35mm f2.4 AL and I would like to take some pictures outside - like a picture of castle covered in snow, cats outside etc. It's quite cold around here now (around -24°C/-11.2°Fahrenheit) but it's not snowing anymore. Is cold/humidity a big problem for lenses with no weather sealing, should I not take it outside?

Thanks for any answers/tips.

01-20-2017, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it's not raining it is no problem. However, if you have been using the camera in a cold environment and move into a warm moist area, condensation can form. Leave it in a bag or case until it has warmed up.
01-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OkiDoki Quote
Hello everyone!
Hey, welcome!
I bought my first DSLR (K-5) for Christmas. I've been using Helios 44-2 58mm/f2 since then and I really enjoyed it but 58mm is just too zoomed in for me.
Nononoo, you meant to say "it is too telephoto". The word zoom merely means you can change the field of view, lenses with a range of focal lengths (for example, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, and so on). On that Helios, the field of view is constant, you cannot zoom in or out. You can only adjust focus. Telephoto means it is long, it brings far away things closer. Wide angle is the opposite, where it captures a wider angle, essentially moving things further away. Just a tidbit, because knowing the right terminology lets you search for the things you want.
Now I bought the DA 35mm f2.4 AL and I would like to take some pictures outside - like a picture of castle covered in snow, cats outside etc. It's quite cold around here now (around -24°C/-11.2°Fahrenheit) but it's not snowing anymore. Is cold/humidity a big problem for lenses with no weather sealing, should I not take it outside?
The cold itself is generally not a problem. The problem is when you go from cold to hot (or dry to humid), because cold equipment will suck in the moisture and fog up. This can cause fungus inside or even problems with the digital parts inside.
There are some threads and blog posts out there about photographing in winter! The most important thing is that when you come from a cold place to a hot place, you keep your equipment in a bag, better yet put the whole camera bag into a PVC bag, and let it adjust slowly. Please read up more about this if you read in a cold climate. Oh, and this goes for WR equipment, too. Better be safe than sorry. Also, you can only consider it WR if both camera and lens are WR. If one isn't, things can enter and go into the other. Its a system

Also, congrats on nice camera and lenses! They are great bang for buck. You can learn how to use them slowly, and look at the threads on this forum for inspiration on what to do with one or another lens. Helios has a thread here (and there is also the Soviet lens club thread). The DA 35mm has a thread called Plastic fantastic club - great lens, nice and sharp!

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-20-2017 at 08:19 AM.
01-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cold should not be a problem. Humidity can be a problem also with WR lenses. Leave the camera in the bag for a while when you return. Enjoy the 35mm FoV.

01-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another word we use for that is "tight." Yeah, 55mm is pretty tight on ASPC. 35-28mm is a good equivalent when compared to FF.

Get out and enjoy, just don't dive in a snowbank with the camera! Your biggest concern in very cold weather is the battery. Chemistry makes the battery lose potential in the cold. I keep a spare in a pocket inside the jacket's insulation layer so I can swap a warm one for the cold.

There are a LOT of photographic opportunities in winter. Frost alone makes beautiful patterns on surfaces. You can even seed some frost with a spray bottle if you want to cheat.
01-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick and helpful replies!
01-20-2017, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't have a case, you can put the camera (with lens) into a ziplock plastic bag right before going inside Force all the excess air out, and seal the bag before taking the camera inside. Then if the cold camera attracts condensation when brought indoors to a warm humid environment, the condensation will form on the bag. Take it out of the bag after the camera warms up.

Actually, where I am, the winter's been alternating between cold and warmer and wet. Inside the air is the driest it is all year, and condensation hardly forms on anything. But indoor spaces can be humid in winter, especially if water is being used at the time for bathing, laundry, dish washing....or if a lot of people are present, breathing like they do.

01-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ah yes, spare batteries are a good idea! Keep them away from cold as much as you can when you are out in the field, especially if you are shooting for a longer time. If its just a short hike, a fully charged battery should be okay, unless you are in extreme cold (-24C is pretty extreme, and will affect the batteries quickly)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-20-2017 at 11:04 AM.
01-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I come in from the cold into a warmer area, before sealing the camera & lens in a plastic bag I remove the SD card if I want to start working on the photos right away.
01-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
If it's not raining it is no problem. However, if you have been using the camera in a cold environment and move into a warm moist area, condensation can form. Leave it in a bag or case until it has warmed up.
This. Even if it's raining, you could still shoot under certain conditions. The main thing is to not let it rain directly on your camera. So, if you were under an umbrella, for example, you'd be okay. The general humidity usually isn't enough to do any harm. I keep large, heavy-duty plastic bags in the back storage pouch of all my camera bags. They've saved my gear many times. Just cover it up...wait for the rain to quit...and go back to shooting. As Victor said, going from cold to a warm moist area is much more likely to do harm...and even that's not a given. It's just something you don't want to make a habit of doing without taking precautions. Shooting in the snow should be no problem. You could even get by with shooting while it's still snowing provided you don't let your camera get overly wet. Think of your camera a bit like if it were your cellphone. If you get caught in a sprinkle or light snow, you probably wouldn't worry that much about your cellphone. If you get caught in a downpour...you might want to cover it up.
01-21-2017, 03:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
or if a lot of people are present, breathing like they do.
Yeah they tend to do that, getting the air all moist and such.

Good advice here from goatsNdonkey++
01-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Yeah they tend to do that, getting the air all moist and such.

Good advice here from goatsNdonkey++
Or if somebody has a few dozen cats, the same thing could happen.

A small apartment would also be more likely to have swings in humidity during water usage or when full of guests. If the inside of the windows start to fog up, that's a clue (unless you have really good insulated windows), or if condensation forms quickly on a glass holding an iced beverage.