Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #1

Help! k-x night photography

Hi To All,

I am a newbie to slr photography and i Just bought my k-x 3 weeks ago, the only thing that's been bothering me is that my fujifilm f50fd takes sharper/better pictures at night

Need all the tips and techniques from you guys...

any recommendation for a good portrait lens and/or night photography?

Thanks in advance.

02-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's very difficult to give comments if you don't indicate what's wrong. Best way is to post examples (use 'post reply' button and just below the submit button is an option to attach photos). Also provide the relevant EXIF data.

PS don't forget to resize your photos first before uploading.
02-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It's very difficult to give comments if you don't indicate what's wrong. Best way is to post examples (use 'post reply' button and just below the submit button is an option to attach photos). Also provide the relevant EXIF data.

PS don't forget to resize your photos first before uploading.
Ditto.. Without some more detailed information on what it is you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it, help will be hard to come by. I can offer a few tips though..

I'm going to assume you are using the 18-55 kit lens since you don't specify. The Kx main advantage according to it's owners is the clean High ISO. Start there. Boost your ISO, set your camera to Av and adjust your aperture until you get a shutter speed of about 1/250 or so. If you cannot get that shutter speed, boost your ISO some more. You want to stop your lens down a couple stops. Rarely are the kit lenses very sharp wide open.

Still though, meaningful advice will only come if you give more details on your situation.

02-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Agreed. More data needed.

I've owned a Finepix F10 since 2005. It's a OK high(ish) ISO performer. I also bought a F60fd over Xmas, only to return it within 48hrs because of it's truly dreadful high ISO image quality (even worse than the F10), and smudgy NR visible even from about 200 ISO. Ughh.

If your F50 takes better/sharper pictures than the K-x at night, you are doing something seriously wrong with your K-x.

02-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #5

I can recommend this tutorial YouTube - DSLR Tips: Night Photography
02-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by missbrojensen Quote
I can recommend this tutorial YouTube - DSLR Tips: Night Photography
thanks great tutorial
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
I am a newbie to slr photography and i Just bought my k-x 3 weeks ago, the only thing that's been bothering me is that my fujifilm f50fd takes sharper/better pictures at night
With the same exposure settings? Flat out impossible. The difference then, must be in the exposure settings you choose, or allowed the camera to choose for you. Or you might be comparing entirely different scenes - unless you're shooting the exact same scene with both cameras, it's easy to not realize how big a difference there might be in the overall light levels.

In any case, pictures with EXIF intact (so we can see what exposure settings were actually use) would help.

QuoteQuote:
Step one: figure out what focal length and aperture you need, based on experience shooting the lens(es) you have and reading whatever books you can find on basic photography.

Step two: post again if you still need help *after* figuring out what focal length and aperture you think you'd want. But simply looking at a list of available lenses (like in a B&H ad) should give you a pretty good idea of your options, and browsing/searching these forums should give you a pretty good idea of what people think of them. Also see the lens review database on this site.

02-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Hi To All,

Need all the tips and techniques from you guys...

Thanks in advance.
Post images!

Then, I simply guess, you are using the K-x the same way you used your old point-and-shoot? Which means, you may have used AF. Forget that. The general rule for nightime shots is to use manual focus. Ofcourse in well-lit street AF will work, but not on those beautiful distant skylines etc.

Ben
02-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Night photography means a lot of different things

The good news is that if you want available light photos of moving subjects, the K-X has the best high ISO performance of any APS sensor camera, even those costing 3 times as much.

If you're shooting static subjects or going for light trails then you want to shoot at low ISO. For the K-X, the native ISO is 200.

Some links
AnandTech: AnandTech Guide to Better Photos: Night Photography
Common Obstacles in Night Photography
http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-comprehensive-guide-to-low-light-and-night-photography/
Night and Low Light Digital Photography Tips
Night Photography: Tips & Tricks for Getting the Shot | profiPhotos.com

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
02-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suggest you post some shots w/ exifs that you are not happy with