Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Just bought a K-x - Suggestions needed

Hi all,

I'm currently in Changchun, China. Went to the July 22 total solar eclipse in Hangzhou with a Pentax K-1000, last year. The developer used old chemicals and totally ruined my photos. I have shot other eclipses with good results, and I can recognize what underdeveloped film looks like (some of the original emulsion was still on the negs), so I decided to venture into DSLR photography for the control I can have over the final image results.

Boy, is the learning curve ever steep!! I've shot night scenes on film before, but tonights results with the new K-x were, in my mind, rather interesting. I can't say disappointing because every picture has something interesting that we didn't expect, LOL (IMHO).

I'm getting some yellow in my images. WB was set on auto. I suspect it was caused by the streetlights. They were shot with the kit 18-55 mm. Exposures were between 1 and 6 seconds at f/3.5 - f/8.

I've got four images, but I can't upload the pics because I have to solve this "security token" problem first. Anyone got any advice as to how to get rid of the "yellow snow"? (Please, please, please don't tell me to go potty before I leave the house )

Thanks in advance

Chris

03-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

Shoot in RAW and you can always change the white balance during post processing. However, I usually use the Tungsten mode when the streetlights are that color.

Have fun with that K-X!
03-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Finally managed to upload the pics.

They are in the "I am NOT a photographer ... I just like takin' pictures." user photo album.
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, yellow lights (like streetlights) cause everything to shift to yellow - that's as true with digital as it was with film. Luckily, digital has a simple option to fix that - change WB to Tungsten (or shoot RAw and fix it in PP).

I'm moving this to the Beginner's forum, because this is a fairly basic question that seems more appropriate there.