Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-X questions

Hi:
I am new here and very interested in getting the K-X as my first SLR. I have some questions about the camera and its suitability for how I want to use it. I am coming from a couple of point and shoots and now a super zoom but do not know a thing about how to use a DSLR or real photography in general. I do take the pictures for the family and have done anniversaries, baptisms and some portraits that are apparently good enough that I keep getting invited whenever someone wants photos but I would like to push a bit more after seeing some pictures a friend of mine has done with his Nikon and looking at some of the wonderful pictures done here.

My first question is about the lack of visible auto focus points in the view finder and how do you overcome that? It is mentioned in almost every review of the K-X but I do not see people saying it ruined a shot, that it missed the proper focus or even how to compensate for it.

My second question regards suitability for what I want and need to do which is want to take the camera shore fishing and record the eagles, ducks and general wildlife I see, take pictures of the beautiful flowers both wild and in our yard and finally continue and do better quality shots of family events maybe getting to the point where they do not pay for studio shots for family portraits or graduation pictures. From what I have read this camera with the 18-55 and 55-300 DA L kit lenses should cover these plus do well with the dog playing Frisbee, am I right?

Thanks for any Input
Tom

03-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can look through the view finder to see what is in focus or not... spend more time on composition vs lining up little green dots.

If you can reasonable protect the camera from rain/snow/mist then it is fine, I take mine out on the lake and golf etc... but i wouldn't want to use it in the pouring rain, if you need that get something weather sealed...

Pentax doesn't focus fast enough for a dog playing Frisbee
03-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The KX has a few features you can use for focus. There's an AF button on the upper right side on the back and the shutter button performs the same function.
In the menu, select the center focus point (it comes up on the LCD) and then lets say you want to focus on a person's eye's. The center cicle in the viewfinder is where this focus point is, right in the middle. So focus on the eye's by pushing the AF button in or a half press on the shutter button (and hold it). Then compose the image as you like by moveing the camera. It's how we do this with all models.

Those lenses will do the job well. Their main limits are they are slow for low light work. But generally you will get good results with both.
03-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Just one more point the Kx will beep when it is in focus realy handy for night shots and when or if you go to a manual lens.

03-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax doesn't focus fast enough for a dog playing Frisbee
So the only way to catch that would be to focus on a spot and have someone throw the Frisbee to it ok

The KX has a few features you can use for focus. There's an AF button on the upper right side on the back and the shutter button performs the same function.
In the menu, select the center focus point (it comes up on the LCD) and then lets say you want to focus on a person's eye's. The center cicle in the viewfinder is where this focus point is, right in the middle. So focus on the eye's by pushing the AF button in or a half press on the shutter button (and hold it). Then compose the image as you like by moveing the camera.

You can look through the view finder to see what is in focus or not... spend more time on composition vs lining up little green dots.

Just one more point the Kx will beep when it is in focus realy handy for night shots and when or if you go to a manual lens.

This is easy and normal stuff so why is lacking the dots considered a negative for the camera? I have done this with my super zoom and even walked out of a not bright room got focus, go back in the room and get the correct distance from the target then take the shot. What is the advatage of having focus dots? Plus the beep would be great.
03-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by burtom Quote
This is easy and normal stuff so why is lacking the dots considered a negative for the camera? I have done this with my super zoom and even walked out of a not bright room got focus, go back in the room and get the correct distance from the target then take the shot. What is the advatage of having focus dots? Plus the beep would be great.
Admin note. it's much easier to figure out what your asking when you quote someone instead of copying the text. Try using the quote and multi quote buttons in future.

Some users will shot in portrait mode using different focus points. So as an example you might select a far right focus point which in portrait mode is upper middle. And use that to focus on the eyes. It's not as easy to do this with the KX. I shoot about half my images in portrait mode and still just use the center point. I'll just lock focus and then adjust the framing. Were side points can really help is in macro shooting where you have the camera on a tripod and can't move it easily.

As for the frisbee, try tracking with the KX. It's AF has been improved and at the right angles, you may find it will do fine. But the method above will also work.
03-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Admin note. it's much easier to figure out what your asking when you quote someone instead of copying the text. Try using the quote and multi quote buttons in future.

Some users will shot in portrait mode using different focus points. So as an example you might select a far right focus point which in portrait mode is upper middle. And use that to focus on the eyes. It's not as easy to do this with the KX. I shoot about half my images in portrait mode and still just use the center point. I'll just lock focus and then adjust the framing. Were side points can really help is in macro shooting where you have the camera on a tripod and can't move it easily.

As for the frisbee, try tracking with the KX. It's AF has been improved and at the right angles, you may find it will do fine. But the method above will also work.
Noted

I never shot with a tripod but see the macro point. That could almost be a pun I kind of understand about he portrait, it is my lack of experience not the explanation.

Thanks
Tom