Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SD volume not visible in Mac OS X Mavericks

Before starting this thread, i did a quick search. I don't know if if i've missed the right keywords, but i could find nothing.
After i found a solution, i decided to post my experience. Sorry, if the problem is well known, and the solution too... :-)

I own three Pentax digital cameras, a K-5 II, a K10D and a K200D.
In the past i tethered both of the older cameras to a Windows PC, and to a PowerMac running Leopard, without any problem.
With my late 2011 MacBook Pro running Mavericks, the K-5 II works as it should: when i connect the USB plug to the computer, a new volume appears in the Finder.
As far as i remember the only thing i've customized is the file names (starting with "K5II" instead of IMG or _IMG).
With the K10D and the K200D though, there are no visible volumes after the two cameras are connected.
The only way to access them, to download the pictures, was to go to the Utilities folder, run Disc Utility (or whatever the name in english), and activate the "NO NAME" volume (Right-Click, or Control-Click, then Activate).
The only way to automatically mount the SD volumes as soon as the camera is connected, is to re-initialize the volumes, as Fat 32, assigning a partition name. I just called them "K200D" and "K10D" for easy identification.

It is a pity that the K200D has no option to rename the picture files, that would help to identify which camera shot the pictures, once the Raw files are downloaded to the computer HD. I don't remember if the K10D has that feature, i don't have it with me at the moment.
That feature is a perfect example of what could be easily added to the functionality of an old camera, with a hacked firmware.
It is a true pity that Pentax never supported hacking. I think that Ricoh-Pentax could do it, at least for their older cameras, even non-officially, and selectively, with a non-disclosure agreement. That would gain them a lot of benevolence, and would make many customers very happy!
I know nothing about Olympus hacked firmwares, and i don't know if it's just reverse-engineering (or there is more..), i don't own an Olympus. But i do know that many people, including a dutch friend of mine, purchased an Olympus camera, and many Olympus lenses, just because of that!
Personally i purchased a few electronic devices, including an expensive one, just because there was a hacked firmware available... but i guess all that is just pure blasphemy, for a japanese corporation :-)

cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 04-16-2014 at 01:53 AM.
04-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you perhaps change the camera's setting "USB Connection" from "MSC" to "PTP"?
But I don't think that would require or allow manual mounting of the device. So I'm sort of stumped if that doesn't do it.
It also doesn't really explain the behavior were formatting the cards seems to cause the cameras to auto mount.

I never use the USB cable for the camera so it is packed away in storage, or I'd give a few things a try. :-(

Last edited by amoringello; 04-16-2014 at 03:25 AM.
04-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, of course it's set to MSC. I never changed that setting cause i don't need printing from the camera (which AFAIK would be the only reason i would ever need to change the protocol).
Excluding Tuxera NTFS, which should be NOT involved with FAT32 partitions, i can't see why my Mac should behave differently from other similar machines running Mavericks.
It is a fact, though. NO NAME partitions must me manually activated, other way they don't auto-mount.
Re-formatting them as FAT32, and giving a partition name, solves the problem.
Interestingly, the K-5 II, which actually gives a name to the SD partition, has no problems at all.

ciao

Paolo
04-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One other off-the-wall thought... have you tried running "Image Capture" on the Mac? Its not terribly useful *except* for assigning behavior for devices that are plugged into the USB ports.
I wonder if something is set for individual devices? I don't see how formatting the SD cards would change behavior, but it might at least show something different between your K5 and the others.

Once the cards are used by the K10/K20 and they no longer automount, will the K5 still auto mount when using that same card?

Very odd.