Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From DSLR to mirrorless... and back again

Yep I started out with a K-30 and the 18-55 kit. An excellent starter kit. I was coming over from 25 years of film shooting. But then I bought into the smaller, lighter mirrorless trend (BTW, not a bad trend at all). I started out with a Fuji X-E1 and the excellent 18-55 kit lens, but then the X-E2 came out so I quickly asked for an exchange. Started buying prime lenses, all excellent. The EVF was awesome as long as I wasn't outside in the bright Florida sun. Then it was useless, so I traded "up" to the Fuji X-Pro1. This gave me an OVF. Yipee I could see! Then I started noticing the lower quality AF, no weatherproofing and worst of all no real weight change from a DSLR. BooM! I am back. K-3 and the HD 20-40. Yeah I am back!!

07-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome back!
07-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back! I almost made that trip but yea not enough weight saving to be worth the cost.
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome back.

Interesting that you don't mention image quality or the range of available lenses amongst the things that brought you back from mirrorless to DSLR.

07-23-2014, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome back, indeed!

There is something very special about the clarity of an OVF compared to an EVF. I think we all took OVFs for granted in the past because that was all that was available before. Personally, I kind of hope that Pentax never has an EVF in their DSLRs.
07-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome back.

Interesting that you don't mention image quality or the range of available lenses amongst the things that brought you back from mirrorless to DSLR.
Good point. The image quality on the Fuji's were quite good. No complaint there. But the dynamic range was less. Yes and of course the lenses of the Pentax were not there, but at least it wasn't as bad as Sony's offerings.Plus the solid construction of the Pentax is a big plus.
07-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

I recently picked up a Q10 to go with my K-50. For me it is about size. I love composing through the lens where I can also see and adjust my exposure settings. For me the Q10 was to have something small that could still take some great pictures without the bulk of an SLR. That that it has been working out quite well.

07-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Welcome back, indeed!

There is something very special about the clarity of an OVF compared to an EVF. I think we all took OVFs for granted in the past because that was all that was available before. Personally, I kind of hope that Pentax never has an EVF in their DSLRs.
If you think of it,this is quite an egocentric position you have. Admitting that there could be some good reason for EVF and to prefer an EVF to an OVF in some cases, you could more say something like: 'I kind hope that Pentax will ensure their users have choice between OVF & EVF'. Could be through interchangeable view finder or simply 2 different bodies.