Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Closed Account

Stubborn dust on sensor

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Seems like I have a couple stubborn dust bunnies on my sensor. The rocket blower won't get them off and the cameras dust alert doesn't see them nor will it's dust shaker remove them.

It doesn't bother me that much really, but I guess the only way to get them off is to use a sticky pen.

07-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax OCK or similar sticky lollipop should solve it.
07-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
I see the Pentax sticky stick is $60. Anyone use a 3rd party one that cost less
07-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

I had the same problem, the blower and even the shutdown shake didn't shift the spots. So I researched and bought a DSLR sensor cleaning brush for a APS-C sensor.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQQQZQ/?tag=hotoge-20

It worked for me, but I'm no expert. The reason I bought the brush was because I could take it on holiday along with the blower. I wouldn't be tempted to swab the sensor in any place except my home. Hope that helps, but someone will always come along with a better answer ;-)

07-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, I use the Promaster-branded one. It comes under other names also. Think it was about $30, and well worth it.
07-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had excellent results with the CleanSkies brush ($15 for a two-pack). I've also used a tacky lollipop cleaner and found it just made it worse. I'm a die-hard brush user now.
07-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I've had excellent results with the CleanSkies brush ($15 for a two-pack). I've also used a tacky lollipop cleaner and found it just made it worse. I'm a die-hard brush user now.
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of someone not liking the tacky lollipop type cleaners - as you said it just made it worse.
Thanks for your comments - perhaps other tacky lollipop users can chime in on their experience.

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 04:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, I use the Promaster-branded one. It comes under other names also. Think it was about $30, and well worth it.
Is this Promaster one a brush or a tacky lollipop type cleaner ?

07-24-2014, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of someone not liking the tacky lollipop type cleaners - as you said it just made it worse.
Thanks for your comments - perhaps other tacky lollipop users can chime in on their experience.

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 04:53 PM ----------

Is this Promaster one a brush or a tacky lollipop type cleaner ?
Tacky lollipop -- actually two. (One smaller roundish lollipop and another bigger with flat bottom.) I can't see how it could make anything worse since it grabs everything and leaves nothing behind. It is the brushes (and every other method) I always found to make it worse -- they all leave new spots (wet) or particles (dry) behind even if you get that stubborn one off. If you have oil or grease or something you might need a wet cleaner first, but the sticky thing is always the last step (for dust blower and sticky thing is all you need) to get rid of all residue. Love it!

You do need to rinse or wash it after you've used it a few times (it has a sticky pad to take off particles as you use it, but it all needs a rinse once in a while). You should clean it before using it the first time.
07-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I can't see how it could make anything worse since it grabs everything and leaves nothing behind.
This one (Opteka brand) left a residue that had to be removed with a wet cleaning.
07-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

+1 on the clean skies. I live in Florida, and other methods did very poorly with the sticky, humid pollen we have so much of. Clean skies works like a champ. Get them from ebay.
07-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

LensRentals.com - How to Clean a Camera Sensor

LensRentals.com - The Lensrentals Lens Cleaning Methods
07-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
Pentaxian

This one (Opteka brand) left a residue that had to be removed with a wet cleaning.
Mine has only been miraculous. I've used in sometimes on lens glass also -- I think it is possible to leave some of the sticky pad stuff behind if you put a lot of pressure on it or something, but tap tap tap and it will pick it right back up. I have found no other way to reliably get rid of all the specks without leaving others behind. When I was living in Denver (I just recently moved to GA) it was so dry there -- micro dust was a real problem. I tried *everything*, this is the one that finally worked.
07-24-2014, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

i bought this one and works great.2 minute job and does wonders
Eyelead Dust-sticking sensor cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
07-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Mine has only been miraculous. I've used in sometimes on lens glass also -- I think it is possible to leave some of the sticky pad stuff behind if you put a lot of pressure on it or something, but tap tap tap and it will pick it right back up.
Well, it's possible I wasn't doing it right. I read the way you do it is to gently press it to the sensor and lift it off at an angle. So that's what I did. Should the occasion ever come up that I feel the need to use it again, I'll try the tap tap tap method. Thanks for the tip!
07-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Well, it's possible I wasn't doing it right. I read the way you do it is to gently press it to the sensor and lift it off at an angle. So that's what I did. Should the occasion ever come up that I feel the need to use it again, I'll try the tap tap tap method. Thanks for the tip!
Basically it is a fancy version of a piece of sticky tape, like you'd use to get other goopy tape residue off something. Sticky stuff picking up dry material (and even water spots, etc) and other sticky stuff. If it leaves something behind, simply grab it again with a little less pressure. You don't want to be pressing and leaving on the sensor or glass you're cleaning, just touch/release, touch/release, hit the spots as needed, hit them multiple times it's fine. It isn't a surgical operation (just try to avoid hitting the non-sensor stuff in there, and don't use it on the focusing screen, although it will work well on the mirror).

I think rinsing it off before first use out of the box is a good idea (although I don't think I did that myself). Use the sticky pad when you're finished cleaning to transfer the specks to there, and if you are able, rinse the whole thing off and let it dry in a dust free box or something (so you can leave the case open while it dries). I think the sticky pad has a plastic film on it to protect it that you are supposed to take off and put back but I lost mine so I just rinse it and keep it clean. I just ordered another one cause the Opteka version (same as I have under a different name) was only $8 on Amazon. I never want to be without.