Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

More *istD specific questions

Hi, Can someone tell me if Really Right Stuff ever made an L-plate for the *istD body or for the *istD w/ BG1 battery/grip? If I know that they did then I can begin searching for one, dilligently. Also, because I'm very taken with the image quality from the *istD even though the camera is definately DR-challenged, I'm looking at the various Pentax "limited" lenses. Can someone tell me if there are any issues with using these lenses on the *istD (autofocusing accuracy, etc.?) For now I'm making due with Pentax-A 2/50 and a Pentax-A 24-50 f4. Today I received the Pentax magnified eyepiece and it coupled with the stock focusing screen is giving very accurate focusing results. In the past I've purchased Katzeye's focusing screens for using with other camera brands, but I don't think that is needed this time. Thank you for any help that you can offer.

Edit: Also, I'm interested in tethering. I found a Linux Pentax tethering utility that I'd like to try. Is it still possible to get a USB cord for the *istD ?

Edit-2: Is there a list somewhere that shows all of the autofocus Pentax lenses that are compatible with the *istD ? I get very confused as it seems some DA and FA lenses work, others do not. Are the only compatible lenses "screw-drive" only ?

Last edited by *istD_User; 08-30-2014 at 04:33 PM.
08-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You won't have any issues with limiteds

I'm not sure about the L plate, but worst case one for a newer body will probably fit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam! That's good to know, about the Limiteds. Ok, then I'll write RRS and ask them which would work best.
08-31-2014, 04:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One point to note, the *istD does not support HSM. Focus is screw drive only.

On the good side, it supports both PTTL and TTL flash so you can shoot flash shots with legacy lenses and have good exposure control

08-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, Lowell ! Is the term "HSM" only used by Sigma and what does it mean ? It seems like I've read that all of the latest Sigma "Art" or is it "Arts" lenses have HSM, so if I just had to have one I'd probably need to get a K5 or something, right ? And indeed I have been reading about the K5-II and K5-IIs, but for now I'm just wanting to get my feet wet, in the Pentax waters, with the *istD and various Pentax brand lenses. I'm not really certain what the term "legacy lenses" means. I was reading about TTL flash for the *istD, a couple of days ago, and one fellow was using some certain Nikon flash that could be used with TTL on the *istD. I know that there are many possibilities though. Would you have a particular TTL flash that you would recommend, for the *istD. And did any Pentax camera, after the *istD/*stDx, offer TTL ?
09-01-2014, 04:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HSM is sigmas name for it. That's all.

Regardless of name it relates to lenses that have built in focusing motors.

As for TTL it stopped at the istDs I believe.

I use an AF500FTZ left over from my film days
09-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for responding to my questions, Lowell. Now I know to avoid all internal AF-motor lenses. I have the *istD manual in PDF, but I haven't gotten to the flash information yet, but right now I'm assuming that both of my Pentax-A lenses would work with a proper Pentax P-TTL flash, as the lenses are communicationg some info with the *istD body. If so, then your use of the term "legacy lenses" refers to older lenses, like m42 Takumars, m42 Zeiss, etc., used via adapter, that do not communicate info with the body ?

09-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lenses will work with PTTL flash, but older KM and M42 lenses will work with TTL false, both in body and on the hot shoe, the camera fully supports both modes, and can use TTL with A and newer lenses. Flash wise it is the most versatile of all pentacpx DSLRs
09-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks again, Lowell, for taking the time to help me understand some things. I researched the *istD P-TTL, TTL subject some more and now I do have a better understanding. I'm looking forward to trying a TTL flash on this camera.
09-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope you enjoy shooting with it. Although I have moved on to K10, K7 and K5 I still have the istD

When you get advanced you'll find another little gem in the flash. It is the only camera that can use the in body flash formHSS control