Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-S1 inherits AA filter simulator and 0.95x pentaprism from K-3

PENTAX - K-S1 Black

Some interesting things to note here. The K-S1 inherits the AA filter simulator from the K-3, and it looks like it has the more advanced version of Pentax's SR system, with rotational horizon correction and ultrasonic Dust Removal.

There's also a new PRIME MII processor on board, and a new 20 MP sensor with sensitivity up to ISO 51200. The interface font is new as well, with a fresh look and feel. Continuous shooting speed is given as 5.4 fps, down from 6.0 fps, perhaps due to the higher-resolution sensor. Construction is the usual fiber-reinforced polymer on stainless steel subframe design, with Tom's Guide noting good build quality.

However, perhaps the most interesting thing to note is that the pentaprism is specified for 0.95x magnification. This would mean that the K-S1 has the excellent, large viewfinder of the K-3. This caught me totally flat-footed and is absolutely unexpected in an entry-level DSLR.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 08-27-2014 at 08:29 PM.
08-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
However, perhaps the most interesting thing to note is that the pentaprism is specified for 0.95x magnification. This would mean that the K-S1 has the excellent, large viewfinder of the K-3. This caught me totally flat-footed and is absolutely unexpected in an entry-level DSLR.

--DragonLord
It's not an entry level DSLR. Ricoh calls it a mid-level and priced it accordingly.
08-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's not an entry level DSLR. Ricoh calls it a mid-level and priced it accordingly.
I think the market (and review sites) will determine what the stratum for the K-S1 is.

"One of the things Ricoh representatives told us about the K-S1 was that they wanted to make the camera more accessible to people who are intimidated by regular DSLRs. Something they cited was the new mode dial, which is essentially the same thing that's usually found on the top of a DSLR, but on the back plate and back-lit." - DPR. Sounds entry-level to me.

"Live view focus speeds are surprisingly good by entry-level DSLR standards. {emphasis mine} You get all the features you'd expect from a camera in this price range, including focus peaking, face detection, and subject tracking. The latter worked pretty well during informal testing around the office." - DPR

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-27-2014 at 08:29 PM.
08-27-2014, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
"Live view focus speeds are surprisingly good by entry-level DSLR standards. {emphasis mine} You get all the features you'd expect from a camera in this price range, including focus peaking, face detection, and subject tracking. The latter worked pretty well during informal testing around the office." - DPR
I would tell you what I think of DPR opinions, but that would get me banned.

08-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The interface font appears to be the same as the one used in the Ricoh GR. Have a look here: Hands-on with the Pentax K-S1: Digital Photography Review and Ricoh GR comparative review: Digital Photography Review.

--DragonLord
08-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the button illumination, that is pretty cool.
Plus I like how the LED lights will show the count down during self-timing.
I also like how we can choose the color of the lights.
Overall I think it's going to be a pretty good camera!

Nice one Pentax!
08-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think most review sites will think it's an entry level camera when it's not black and boxy. Hell, seems like most of the people do for some reason.

I love the unorthodox designs Pentax is trying out. I hope it catches on.

08-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Forum Member

From the article:

"I really liked the LED lights along the grip and surrounding the dials and buttons on the K-S1. A row of indicator lights down the grip goes off one by one when you are shooting in timer mode so you have a clearer indication of when the picture will be taken."

Lesson: People should reserve judgement on this feature until they try it.

If it gets adopted by the Big-2 in the future, I am going to laugh.
08-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like how its looking. Its funny but there seems to be an amazing amount of "snobbery" (Ok thats probably the wrong word but you get the idea) in the camera industry - anything that is a bit different gets put down. I thought the preview on DP Review was practically pooh poohing it in their summary even though its got some impressive features that other cameras "in its class" don't have.
08-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
ogl
Banned

The specs of the camera are more impressive than the ergonomics. We like the large optical viewfinder and backlit mode dial, though the latter is rough on your thumb. The four-way controller is poorly designed, and the grip is small and slippery. The LED lights on the grip are more style than substance, but at least you can turn them off.
08-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not only did they intentionally make an unorthodox design, maybe they intentionally refused to let this camera fit nicely into a neat price-point label. Shake up the industry in a more fundamental way than just the design.
08-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The specs of the camera are more impressive than the ergonomics. We like the large optical viewfinder and backlit mode dial, though the latter is rough on your thumb. The four-way controller is poorly designed, and the grip is small and slippery. The LED lights on the grip are more style than substance, but at least you can turn them off.
D Pooh Pooh Review.
08-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

Grip could be made with rubber cover IMO
08-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Grip could be made with rubber cover IMO
I'll just stretch a balloon over it (in my choice of colour!) and see how that works
08-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It also has the diffraction correction feature that was recently added to the K-3.