Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
What I want from Pentax

I'm at a lack of words at the.. It's not due to 'Pentax' not being amazing or that it has a slow product release schechdule, but the fact that there are simply not options available for us Pentaxians.

First up, where is Our Full Frame DSLR? I'm not saying it is required or even useful fir the majority of Pentax users, but the fact us, we have been waiting as a collective for over a decade, and nothing has happened. At the very least, we deserve a theson to why it HASN'T happened in the past, that's all I want. All they'd need to shut me up is throw a Full Frame sensor in a K-3(ish) size body with slightly better specifications, and I'd be happy. Pentax doesnt need it to attract new users or professionals, but to allow amateurs who start out with Pentax who are on their way to becoming professionals to have a FF option.

Next up, where is the K-01 successor? I dunno what they need to do to make it successful, but they need to be doing something in the mirrorless arena outside of the Q system. I own a Q, and I honestly love it for what it is, a lovely and intuitive CSC which reaps all the benefits of it's sensor size, along with the majority of the inherent disadvantages. nonetheless, thus is the future, and mirrorless cameras are here to stay, along side with the DSLR. Pentax needs to do something while the market is still maturing, before it is too late.

So thirdly, we need more lens options, simple as that. Yes, the Limiteds are amazing, and are easily one of the biggest and most attractive parts of the system, but inorder for that to be useful, pentax must still compete in other areas, as in fast primes, better zooms, fast wide angles and even a few more Tele options. These all are required and are holes in the lineup. I'm not expecting change overnight, but some evidence of movement would be nice. And also, please refresh the DA* range for goodness sake, it's definitely needed, if not optically, atleast mechanically.

So now for the compact cameras. The GR is amazing, fullstop. No need to debate it in the least. But, it would be nice to have a MX-1 succesor of some sort. Maybe a EVF, a bigger sensor, but please give us something to be proud to call our own. The MX is a classic, and it would be a waste not to continue the legacy. Also, how about a high end bridge camera built with the K-3 chassis, compadible with the same accesories, battery grip and weather seaked with the same controls with maybe a 24-(200-500)mm f(2.8/3.5/4) lens mounted to a one inch sensor. now that would be amazing as a professional backup camera?

And last but not least, our beautiful Q system. We simply need a pro body and some more primes. That's all. That would make me happy.

Look, I know I'm not speaking fir everyone, but wouldn't it be nice? And obviously this ciuldnt happen overnight, but we can dream can't we. Any thoughts on this (and I know it's all been said before)?

EDIT?

You know what's really important though, Pentax developing a 35mm film camera with 2010's technology (part humor, but honestly would be wonderful)

Last edited by Joshua A; 08-29-2014 at 05:15 PM.
08-29-2014, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
I know it's all been said before
Yep.
Our Full Frame DSLR
we have been waiting
we need more lens options
give us something
our beautiful Q system
QuoteQuote:
We simply need a pro body
You are looking at the situation backwards. What WE want is completely irrelevant. What Ricoh, and Ricoh stockholders want is the only thing that matters. If their wants happen to coincidentally match something you want then life is good, otherwise too bad. I don't mean to be rude but honestly I'm just burned out on people whining about what "OUR" company should do for "US". It's not "OUR" company. And unless you want to plop down a couple gazillion dollars and buy a big bunch of Ricoh stock you don't have a say. Ricohs only function is to make money for their shareholders, failing to do so is a breach of trust with the people who put their money where it counts.

I don't think your list is bad. In fact I think you summed it up nicely, from OUR perspective (for some given definition of OUR). And I suspect a lot of those things will eventually be accomplished, on Ricohs time schedule and when THEY think it makes sense to THEM.
08-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfect response jatrax. Pass the popcorn.
08-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Do you want butter on yours?

08-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
I knew that response was coming the second I posted. And you are completely right, there is a vast separation between the consumer and the provider. I just needed to vent, and here seemed better than no where.
08-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I knew that response was coming the second I posted. And you are completely right, there is a vast separation between the consumer and the provider. I just needed to vent, and here seemed better than no where.
If there were more of us, our wants and their wants would be better aligned. Unfortunately Asahi frittered us away and Hoya/Sparxx sucked the remaining juice out, leaving an empty husk.

Rioch doesn't need to do this at all - Cameras are a drop in the earnings ocean. They must see something valuable or they wouldn't bother, and we should be damned glad they do.

I've said this as often as people have asked your questions - be patient. It will all happen. Probably sooner than you think.
08-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can make that "our" and "we" a bit more direct.

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=669695

It's about $11 USD / 11.50 AUD per share.

08-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

but to allow amateurs who start out with Pentax who are on their way to becoming professionals to have a FF option
Some of us ARE professionals ALREADY and have no need for a FF option...
08-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax doesnt need it to attract new users or professionals, but to allow amateurs who start out with Pentax who are on their way to becoming professionals to have a FF option.
New users is exactly what Pentax does need to attract! See more of the base users and you'll see more of the things you want. Do you think Canon would be able to support all of their full frame and high end systems without selling millions of Rebels? And only a small percentage of those Rebel users will ever go beyond the base kit. And all of those vocal on this forum about a full frame will not buy one, read the threads, I'll buy it if it has this and costs this, they already have the disclaimers ready. I don't need a full frame but I would be happy to see one because that would mean the user base has grown and we'll be able to see more lens offerings, etc. Pentax needs a lot of new users and that's why they just introduced the K-S1, I hope it sells like crazy and becomes a cash making machine for Ricoh.

Next up, where is the K-01 successor? I dunno what they need to do to make it successful, but they need to be doing something in the mirrorless arena outside of the Q system. I own a Q, and I honestly love it for what it is, a lovely and intuitive CSC which reaps all the benefits of it's sensor size, along with the majority of the inherent disadvantages. nonetheless, thus is the future, and mirrorless cameras are here to stay, along side with the DSLR. Pentax needs to do something while the market is still maturing, before it is too late.
The K-01 was a great performing camera but a sales disaster, which is why is was discontinued. I don't think they will jump back into mirrorless again unless it is a really special camera, the field is super competitive. I don't think the K-01 attracted much in the way of new business. Again I think they have to create a design that will get new customers to buy into K mount. If a mirrorless doesn't gain new Pentax customers there is no reason to build one.

So thirdly, we need more lens options, simple as that. Yes, the Limiteds are amazing, and are easily one of the biggest and most attractive parts of the system, but inorder for that to be useful, pentax must still compete in other areas, as in fast primes, better zooms, fast wide angles and even a few more Tele options. These all are required and are holes in the lineup. I'm not expecting change overnight, but some evidence of movement would be nice. And also, please refresh the DA* range for goodness sake, it's definitely needed, if not optically, atleast mechanically.
I agree that there needs to be more lens choices from fast primes to long zooms. But I think there is a lot of evidence of movement here finally. The teleconverter finally appearing, the WR 55-300, 20-40 zoom, five updated DA Limiteds, and the WR kits lenses. They may not be the lens you want, but they are steps. The WR kits were really needs to sell with WR cameras and I have to think the 55-300 is probably near the top of Pentax lens sales. For most new Pentaxians I would thing the 55-30, 35/2.4, or the 50/1.8 are their first additional lens purchase if they ever make them. I want to see fast WA primes, but will we buy them when they aren't small and cheap? Interestingly of the lenses they have introduced how many were actually on the roadmap? I guess you wouldn't expect the revamped limiteds, but I don't think the 55-300WR was in there, nor were the kits, but they are very significant to profits.

And last but not least, our beautiful Q system. We simply need a pro body and some more primes. That's all. That would make me happy.
Pro Body - More humor I hope A couple of pancakes would be pretty cool.
08-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Where are the Milk Duds? I thought I told you to get Milk Duds!

Steve

---------- Post added 08-29-14 at 07:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
A couple of pancakes would be pretty cool.
Crepes please...with jam...

Steve
08-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Ah yes, much better versatility, and lighter!
08-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Venting is fine. That's what we are here for. And like Monochrome says, patience. Either Ricoh will deliver products that match what we want or eventually we sell our gear and buy into a different brand that does make products for us. I like Pentax, am fascinated by the history, have several books on it. But I am far more interested in making good pictures than I am worrying about what name is on the front of the camera. I am heavily invested in Pentax and will use it as long as it meets my needs. And the day it doesn't I will buy into another brand.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My wife just made a big batch of Tayberry jam.......... Crepes and Tayberry jam, hmmmm
08-30-2014, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There have been arguments over the years about full frame. Clearly Canon and Nikon have established bases of users -- enough that if five percent or ten percent of them buy full frame cameras and lenses, those lines are sustainable. That said, both of them are losing money and the only thing they seem able to do is launch more full frame cameras. I don't honestly believe the way to "grow a brand" is to launch a larger sensored camera. The market is going through some transitions right now and the older brands could be in trouble if they aren't flexible enough to make adjustments.

From Pentax's standpoint, there needs to be a sizable growing of their base of users. Maybe the newest camera will do that. Maybe get a K mount mirrorless APS-C camera out there (updated K-01). Things that will build a base of users.

I think Pentax is (and has been) working on a full frame camera. But they need some feature that would make at least a few Nikon/Canon/Sony photographers decide to sell their gear and transition to the K mount. I don't buy that small size alone would be that answer. Maybe SR on the sensor could be part of it. But there has to be something that makes people want to try something other than their D610 or D810 in order to have a K mount full frame camera be a success. If Pentax just sold a hundred to the Pentax faithful here on the forum who want one and have the money for it, it could really damage the future of the company.
08-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I noticed that Ricoh is not doing anything, no new products, no innovation. </sarc>
Since 2012:
K-30, K50, K-500, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-3, K-S1
Q10, Q7, Q-S1
K-01
WG-2, WG-2gps, WG-3, WG-3gps, WG-4, WG-4gps
WG-10,WG-20
X-5, XG-1
MX-1
645z
HD 15, HD 21, HD 35 macro, HD 40, HD 70, HD 560, HD 20-40
DA 50 f/1.8, DA 55-300 WR, DA 18-270
HD 1.4x RC
Q-06, Q-08, Q-K adapter
645 90mm macro, 645 25mm, 645 28-45
I did not bother to look at P&S cameras, or look at binocular and sport optics divisions.

Compared to market share can Canon or Nikon come even remotely close to the number of releases? I count 40 separate products that had to be developed, packaged and put into the marketplace. For a company with 5% market share I think that is remarkable.
08-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #15

Original Poster
If I were to be completely honest, the best and most unique selling point of the Pentax system is its amazing community. Even though I may have posted things that people don't agree with or find stupid, the majority of the member on the forum have answer any questions I've made objectively. That doesn't mean there's no personal input into the answer, and that's great because people need not take everything as a personal attack. And I personally want to thank you guys, and you know who you are!

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Originally posted by Joshua A but to allow amateurs who start out with Pentax who are on their way to becoming professionals to have a FF option Some of us ARE professionals ALREADY and have no need for a FF option...

In answer to this, yes, I understand that. I use my K-5 semi-professionally (I pulled in 40% of my income from photography), but I would like a matching FF body to use alongside it for when I like the extra DOF while using the same lens. Options are awesome, and the lack of FF doesn't make me want to magically sell my equipment and move to Canikon. The investment to get the equivalent durability is simply to expensive, and as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to WR, Canon and Nikon don't sell anything even close to equivalent to a K-5 with a DA* lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I noticed that Ricoh is not doing anything, no new products, no innovation. Since 2012: K-30, K50, K-500, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-3, K-S1 Q10, Q7, Q-S1 K-01 WG-2, WG-2gps, WG-3, WG-3gps, WG-4, WG-4gps WG-10,WG-20 X-5, XG-1 MX-1 645z HD 15, HD 21, HD 35 macro, HD 40, HD 70, HD 560, HD 20-40 DA 50 f/1.8, DA 55-300 WR, DA 18-270 HD 1.4x RC Q-06, Q-08, Q-K adapter 645 90mm macro, 645 25mm, 645 28-45 I did not bother to look at P&S cameras, or look at binocular and sport optics divisions. Compared to market share can Canon or Nikon come even remotely close to the number of releases? I count 40 separate products that had to be developed, packaged and put into the marketplace. For a company with 5% market share I think that is remarkable.

On the other hand, my reply to this particular argument is that, sure, Pentax (Ricoh technically) has been releasing products like a sailboat at full mast. But if we were to separate completely new products from redeveloped ones, that list would be much smaller. My outlook on it is that Ricoh is rereleasing products (HD coated Limited for example) in order t stay in the headlines while they organise themselves for actually releasing ground-breaking or revolutionary instead of evolutionary product. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Don't take this the wrong way, I do think that the refreshing of the line up has it merits and is completely required, but, at least for me, its not been a particularly exciting two years (aside from the K-3, my dad has one, and it's bloody fantastic), for product releases that the average consumer can afford (aka, beginner photographers). Like, the K-30 is an amazing camera, and so are its redeveloped siblings (K-50, K-500), but they're let down simply by their kit lenses, which need DC autofocusing at the very least.

Once again, thank you for the responses!