Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K7 possible lens issue or ?

I have a K7 (and new at it) and have only used older takumar lenses. The photos seemed to have developed a dark strip or shaded area along the left side, about an eighth of the way in. It almost seems like light is leaking in. Is this the lenses or hopefully just a setting or..... something else? Any ideas?

09-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picture?
09-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Picture?
Yes...pictures! Send uncropped in-camera JPEG with exif intact.

A light leak is possible due to the poor quality of some M42 adapters, but would present as a splash of, well, light!

Steve
09-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe the adapter isn't level and the lens is pointing far enough to one side that it's causing vignetting on the other?

09-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
try a new SD card, if the dark strip is straight and sharp. light leaking should give bright corner. inappropriate alignment might cause vignetting but will not result in strips with sharp edges.
09-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Picture?
Here's A photo
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
09-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, just to be sure you are talking about the darker purplish area to the left of this image?

1) Do you get the same issue with different lenses?
2) Is it always in the exact same spot?
3) It looks like there are vertical streaks, or is that just an artifact from the upload process?
4) Have you tried more than one SD card?

Hoping someone else comes up with a less severe answer but I'm leaning toward sensor failure. But confirm my questions and see if it is something else.

09-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
very likely SD card issue. Try another one if you have. Hope it is not anything major.
09-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I also vote for SD card issues. Reformat? Different card? Sensor/processor failure is another possibility, but it is best to rule out the less tragic potential causes first.

Steve
09-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, just to be sure you are talking about the darker purplish area to the left of this image?

1) Do you get the same issue with different lenses?
2) Is it always in the exact same spot?
3) It looks like there are vertical streaks, or is that just an artifact from the upload process?
4) Have you tried more than one SD card?

Hoping someone else comes up with a less severe answer but I'm leaning toward sensor failure. But confirm my questions and see if it is something else.
Bummer......tried all of the above and it's still there. Thanks so much for the tips though. I suppose it's the sensor then...and I assume it's something expensive that I can't replace myself ? Of course it's past the year warranty but it's still olny a few years old. What makes them go "bad"?.
09-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by REL981 Quote
Of course it's past the year warranty but it's still olny a few years old. What makes them go "bad"?.
Bad luck I suppose. It is quite rare as far I can tell, you really do not see many people with such an issue.

It is not something you could replace yourself. So it will have to go in for service. That camera is a bit dated at this point, not sure what it would cost. I would get a quote and think very hard about buying a used k-5 instead of repairing it. K-5 sensor is a nice step up.

How long have you had the camera? Did you buy new?
09-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Bad luck I suppose. It is quite rare as far I can tell, you really do not see many people with such an issue.

It is not something you could replace yourself. So it will have to go in for service. That camera is a bit dated at this point, not sure what it would cost. I would get a quote and think very hard about buying a used k-5 instead of repairing it. K-5 sensor is a nice step up.

How long have you had the camera? Did you buy new?
It was a gift, but it was new, had it maybe two years now. Seems crazy that this would go bad so fast! There's so much I like about it. And, wow, just trash a perfectly good camera! (except for the sensor)
09-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by REL981 Quote
And, wow, just trash a perfectly good camera! (except for the sensor)
Get a quote and see what they say. Price a used k-5 (maybe $400 - $450) and see which way you come out ahead.

Tough break, sorry to see that. I've been reading here since maybe 2010 and I remember hearing about a bad sensor maybe 4 - 5 times. Does not happen often, sorry it had to be you.

Best,
09-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay, will do. And thanks again for the tips. Hope i can return the deed someday.