Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seriously Pentax??!

Just spent almost $3000 on Pentax gear. I bought a 20-40, a K-3, and a 55-300. The first k-3 had a misaligned plane. I replaced it with the last K-3 Adorama literally had: their display model. Only because I was in the store visiting NYC and didn't want to go home with a non-working K-3. 24 hours later I went to flash the firmware to 1.11 and it bricked. I waited a whole half hour before I reluctantly pulled the battery. It doesn't turn on. Today I finally received my backordered 20-40. At 20mm its badly decentered and soft even at f8. Guess I have to send it back and hope that another copy isn't also flawed. At this point expectations are pretty damned low. This is unacceptable for a $900 lens IMO. I know Ricoh reads these forums, so I'll just say this: Get it together and beef up QC already!

10-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, sorry to read this. You're right, Pentax QC needs to improve.
10-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll test the 20-40 on my k-7 to be sure, but ugh.
10-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #4

Consider returning your purchase and order from B and H. I have had 100% success with every purchase from them.

10-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Talk with Helen. She'll get you sorted in no time flat.
Helen Oster - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Good luck!
10-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hogdriver Quote
Consider returning your purchase and order from B and H. I have had 100% success with every purchase from them.
Whether the OP bought from B&H or Adorama has nothing to do with the defects in the new equipment.
10-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
The first k-3 had a misaligned plane.
Just curious what this means? Never heard of it before.

10-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Was the misalignment caused by rough shipping and handling, maybe? It could have been just fine at the factory when it went through QA.
10-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Talk with Helen. She'll get you sorted in no time flat.
Helen Oster - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Good luck!
What he said. FWIW, I would never knowingly accept a floor sample (a used camera) as exchange for a defective unit. I would have had Adorama ship the factory-boxed replacement. With any luck, it may have beat you home.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just curious what this means? Never heard of it before.
I remember a thread a few years ago where the OP complained about the horizon always being out of true even when the camera was confirmed level on the tripod.

Steve
10-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Today I finally received my backordered 20-40. At 20mm its badly decentered and soft even at f8. This is unacceptable for a $900 lens IMO.
Sorry to hear this.
Would you care to share the serial number of the bad copy?

It seems that a lot of the early examples had their problems,
which contributed to the bad press that the lens has received.

There will always be one or two outliers
(unless you're paying $200 extra per lens for a Zeiss level of inspection/rejection),
but it would be good if we can keep track to see if there are still more than normal,
now this lens has been on the market for a year.

Guess I have to send it back and hope that another copy isn't also flawed. At this point expectations are pretty damned low.

If you appreciate the best kind of Pentax color and rendering,
a good copy of the DA 20-40 is well worth getting.
10-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I remember a thread a few years ago where the OP complained about the horizon always being out of true even when the camera was confirmed level on the tripod.
Dimly remember that as well, but I thought it was the electronic level that was out. But maybe I'm thinking of a different thread.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 02:19 PM ----------

I replaced it with the last K-3 Adorama literally had: their display model.
And that is really weird since they just announced a big sale / price drop on the k-3. Where are they going to get the inventory to ship the sale purchases from if they don't have any in stock? Kinda knocks the theory in the other thread that the k-3 is stuck on the shelves and retailers are looking for a sale to clear stock.
10-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And that is really weird since they just announced a big sale / price drop on the k-3. Where are they going to get the inventory to ship the sale purchases from if they don't have any in stock? Kinda knocks the theory in the other thread that the k-3 is stuck on the shelves and retailers are looking for a sale to clear stock.
Adorama has their storefront in Manhattan but I think they have a larger warehouse across the river in New Jersey. The OP may have been at the store just as the inventory ran out, before they could put some K-3s on the next truck leaving the warehouse. That's a lot of conjecture on my part but explains how Adorama might appear sold out and overstocked at the same time.
10-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

a misaligned plane
?? To me, that phrase could refer to multiple things.
- the electronic level feature;
- the plane of the sensor;
- the plane of the lens mount;
- the plane of some AF element
- something else.

Which one do you mean? Some of those wouldn't be immediately easy to detect.

And bricking a K-3 after a firmware update is very rare. How did that happen?
10-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I meant that the sensor seemed misaligned. Two lenses had left/right softness issues. At first I thought the 55-300 I bought was decentered too, but after trying it on my k-5 iis it seemed quite passable for the most part. I'm not going to rule out that my k-5 iis mount is misaligned just yet. 20mm really stresses imperfections in the mount. I need to try this lens on a k-7 I have before making a verdict. It certainly has uneven sharpness in the corners, but the center borders look OK left to right. I would expect more uniform performance.

By the way the wharehouse explanation makes a lot of sense now. Half my order was back ordered momentarily. I think another round of exchanges is the way to go at this point. I will reach out to the contact though. Thanks for that info!

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 06:11 PM ----------

Serial is 9601940.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 06:12 PM ----------

Serial is 9601940.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 06:14 PM ----------

Dunno how the k-3 bricked really. I've flashed firmware many times before. It just never completed and locked the camera. I waited like almost a half hour.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 06:15 PM ----------

Dunno how the k-3 bricked really. I've flashed firmware many times before. It just never completed and locked the camera. I waited like almost a half hour.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 06:18 PM ----------

I can post samples later on here. Need to try the k-7 next. I have a few friends with cameras I can use for testing too. I know. I could just test it on my k-3! ....oh wait.
10-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tested my lenses on a k-5 iis and my old k-7. Looks like the 55-300 is going back too. My primes look good on both cameras and so did my 50-200 and 17-70 so I think I can rule out the bodies. I saw the same defects on both cameras. 2700 dollars for bad gear. Funny. This was supposed to be a birthday present to myself. Oh joy.