Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 01:03 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Enabling debug mode with Android phone (in my K10D)

Hi,

I've upgraded my K10D to newest 1.31 firmware, loosing ability to fix focus issues with my lenses. Debug mode is reachable using PK Tether under Microsoft Windows operating system though. Sadly, since I am die-hard gnu/linux user and free software (some call it open source) fan, using PK Tether is not an option for me, so I reverse engineered the protocol used by PK Tether and created a patch for pkTriggerCord, an open source program that do tethering with Pentax cameras under Windows/Linux/Android.

pkTriggerCord can also be used on android phones, so entering and leaving Debug mode is possible when shooting outside without the need of a computer. All necessary patched code can be found at my github repository https://github.com/samop/pktriggercord.

As for now only pktriggercord-cli is adapted to this hack (use it as pktriggercord-cli --debug-mode=1 to enable camera debug mode and pktriggercord-cli --debug-mode=0 from the command line). When applied, the camera lcd flashes a bit and then disconnects from the program. It was also tested on rooted android phone with superuser access and it works perfectly. With a little knowledge of programming you can write gui yourself.

If you try the code I am interested to know whether it works for you or not. Please specify camera model and firmware version with your report

Note: pktriggercord was not created by me so original credits for this extraordinary tool applies.
Note 2: when using the code, you are using it strictly on your account. I am not liable to any damage to your camera, data on your sd card or if your life starts spiraling downwards because of this code.

Samo.

10-23-2014, 01:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well done. I'm sure it will be useful for some people.
More power to all you Pentax hackers.
10-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/1...your-help.html

If you want a read...
10-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by samop Quote
Hi,

I've upgraded my K10D to newest 1.31 firmware, loosing ability to fix focus issues with my lenses. Debug mode is reachable using PK Tether under Microsoft Windows operating system though. Sadly, since I am die-hard gnu/linux user and free software (some call it open source) fan, using PK Tether is not an option for me, so I reverse engineered the protocol used by PK Tether and created a patch for pkTriggerCord, an open source program that do tethering with Pentax cameras under Windows/Linux/Android.

pkTriggerCord can also be used on android phones, so entering and leaving Debug mode is possible when shooting outside without the need of a computer. All necessary patched code can be found at my github repository https://github.com/samop/pktriggercord.

As for now only pktriggercord-cli is adapted to this hack (use it as pktriggercord-cli --debug-mode=1 to enable camera debug mode and pktriggercord-cli --debug-mode=0 from the command line). When applied, the camera lcd flashes a bit and then disconnects from the program. It was also tested on rooted android phone with superuser access and it works perfectly. With a little knowledge of programming you can write gui yourself.

If you try the code I am interested to know whether it works for you or not. Please specify camera model and firmware version with your report

Note: pktriggercord was not created by me so original credits for this extraordinary tool applies.
Note 2: when using the code, you are using it strictly on your account. I am not liable to any damage to your camera, data on your sd card or if your life starts spiraling downwards because of this code.

Samo.
What about using WINE will that allow you to use the existing tool?

10-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Wow, thanks. I will take a look into their code. I haven't ben lucky compiling gui for android from the official svn repository at sf, but I got command line working just fine. It is unpractical however to write down a set of commands whenever you want to make a photo . For Debug on/off though it is more than enough.

It would be cool to have a phone based storage as someone mentioned on that thread. Maybe adding some exif information on gps location, etc. (for those who can't mount gps receiver on the hotshoe)

Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-23-14 at 05:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
What about using WINE will that allow you to use the existing tool?
It didn't work. It worked on virtualbox, but this is not something I want to carry with me when I am shooting. Having a mobile phone is much better and I am happy now .

Last edited by samop; 10-23-2014 at 08:41 AM.
10-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
For testing purposes I've made an application that can be installed from Google Play for those, who don't like to deal with source code. Here it is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.penic.pkdebugmode
10-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For testing purposes I've made an application that can be installed from Google Play for those, who don't like to deal with source code. Here it is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.penic.pkdebugmode
Ko pride aparat s servisa sprobam in poročam.

12-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

free software (some call it open source) fan
I installed the pktriggercord version 0.81-04 .rpm from sourceforge.

I have not been able to get connection to the Pentax istds.
The K-01 has some functionality but the shutter speed is fixed at about 27 second and is not following the selected value.
Is anybody on here using this now?