Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 03:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What features would you like to see in K-3's successor? (No FF!)

Pretty much what the title says...

For me, a couple of desired features would be:

---Articulating Screen
I find myself using the live view now and then on my K5ii, so this would be nice to have. I had the opportunity to use a Sony A6000 before upgrading to K5ii, and I found this to be a useful feature.

--Smaller size, lighter
I think my camera is the only "gadget" where it has actually gotten heavier, and bulkier over the years. My previous dSLR was the *istDL2, which in size/weight comparison to the K5ii, looks like a mirrorless now I understand the newer bodies are all magnesium, the sensor shifts, ISO is better, etc., but I would like to see these packaged in a lighter body.

--Better Video
I know most people do not care about video on their DLSR, but I do
I think 4K will not happen any time soon for Pentax, but I would at least like autofocus. Then again, with an old AF lens, you are likely to be hearing the motor of the lens in the video... But I don't know... It would be nice to have more choices re. video shooting, such as compression options.

--More megapixels, more body colours?
...because you know, more is better... Sorry, I could not resist an ill-fated humour attempt

--I would also like builtin GPS and Wifi, but I know these are not happening, since Ricoh has gone down the route of "modularising" these with out of the camera accessories.

What are the features/improvements you would like to see in a high end upcoming model?

Cheerio,
Mike

11-23-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A tilting screen would be awesome to have, better video image quality/pro-level features, and more processing power. PDAF in live view would be nice, as well as improved viewfinder AF (they need to re-invent SAFOX rather than making incremental improvements IMO). Not sure what else can be improved until the next generation of sensors comes out...

With that said, the K-3 is a pretty awesome camera, still very far from being obsolete.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd vote for
- wireless photos transmision between memory card and PC (I'd simply like to insert my cards to camera slots and never see them again...)
- tilting LCD screen, agreed
- inbuilt GPS (say O-GPS1 functions standard in camera body)
- more MPx... yes, but it's getting more important in case that the new body will be FF (more MPx would allow using current DA lenses and cropping to get rid of vignetting - I guess Nikon has such solution in FF cameras if I'm not wrong (?))
- in case of K-3 even ISO 6400 gives reasonable noise level. I'd not protest when the successor comes with ISO 12800 also that good
- more AF points
- even better shake-stabilizer

Better video? I never use it, but I don't mind.

Smaller size - only if it's not against the almost perfect K-3 ergonomy
Less weight - NO, as the balance camera x (heavy) lenses would be getting worse
11-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

-Lens+body stabilization for +1 stop efficiency. (It also need some new lenses, so meybe in the far future )
-More AF points with better coverage of the frame.
-Live view phase detect AF
-Contrast detect focus in addition to the PD in viewfinder via metering system. It is a complex image sensor currently, so why not?
-Better tracking. (The metering system can help here again.)
-More buttons: separate focus point selection (joystic?), one or tow more costumizable button
-Ability to tilt the sensor in composition adjustment and more shifting.
-More than 1 degree horizon correction
-Tilting LCD
-Gorilla glass on LCD
-Touch screen, with the ability to turn off tuch in every screen separatly. (In menu navigation, live view focus point selection, touch buttons on info screen, but the proximity switch must be very good)
-Bigger buffer depth.
-"Clear" images up to ISO 6400. (Beck illuminated CMOS, with 24MP?)
-Excelent JPEGs by default.
-Wider range for white ballance
-The ability to use the tow SD cards in "RAID" or alternating writes, to get more speed.
-Built in GPS (ASTROTRACER!)
-Tethering

11-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good stuff so far! Tilting or articulated screen is something Pentax really needs to add to its DSLRs (or a K-01 mirrorless successor). I would also like to see some improvements on focus peaking, like choosing the peaking colour, and a sensitivity slider (especially for ultra wide lenses and slow lenses)
Uncrippled mount is something people dream about, but unfortunately, I doubt it will happen.

I don't care about MP, anything above 16 is good enough for me now. But dynamic range, bit rate are important to me. And minimum ISO - the K-5 was great with ISO 80, let's push this! It was something that Pentax did with the Sony sensor that no other brand did, and it produced results. It was an advantage.

When it comes to video, I don't care about it much, but I just wish Pentax would stop making mistakes with it. Fix the jello problem, add improved codecs, fix the auto ISO, aperture and EV problems, allow peaking during recording, mic jack and improved audio controls..

Then the SR magic. There were ideas of using the SR to simulate AA, and now we have that. Another idea was to use SR to shift the frame, and take multiple photos, then combining them into a single hyper-resolution file. This way the sensor could compete with foveon and studio FF cameras. Pentax better make this a reality before Sony does!
11-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

Agree with most...
1) Would like roundness of K-20's body and grip on right side handhold - which was a better fit for large hands, especially for pinky finger placement.
2) Return of space/slot for shutter remote inside additional grip--really miss this handy feature for storing this small device.
3) If video will continue...add stereo microphone.
4) Split image focusing screen - for many who use manual focus.
Thank you...
11-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A tilting screen would be awesome to have, better video image quality/pro-level features, and more processing power. PDAF in live view would be nice, as well as improved viewfinder AF (they need to re-invent SAFOX rather than making incremental improvements IMO). Not sure what else can be improved until the next generation of sensors comes out...

With that said, the K-3 is a pretty awesome camera, still very far from being obsolete.
All of this would be great but I also agree with Adam that the K-3 is very fine as it. It will take something very big to supplant it.

11-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
.... Then the SR magic. There were ideas of using the SR to simulate AA, and now we have that. Another idea was to use SR to shift the frame, and take multiple photos, then combining them into a single hyper-resolution file. This way the sensor could compete with foveon and studio FF cameras. Pentax better make this a reality before Sony does!
I can't fathom why they have not done this yet. Overall, going to a super resolution would take an additional 4 to 6 shots. For landscaping, who cares about the time it will take, for the most part the scene is not moving. You are essentially moving the sensor half a pixel in distance, and you wind up with something on the order of 64MP images. Now you really don't want to process them in camera. Just capture the image and save them on the card. Off-board post processing can do a better job on combining them together.

In terms of simulating a Foveon sensor, its a very similar concept, ever so slightly different. Rather than shifting the sensor a half a pixel in distance, you will be shifting the sensor a full pixel in distance, and taking 3 images. What you are really doing is stacking the RGB pixels vertically, so that you get all colors at the same pixel location.

Now to combine these two concepts together, you are going to need a lot of images 3 * (4 to 6) = 12 to 18 images. That's at least 1080 seconds or 18 minutes at 30 sec/shot. Probably not going to interest too many landscapers. But the individual concepts in a standalone environment is very doable.

Another idea is to automatically calibrate AF lenses, and update the fine AF table that is in the body. Using both Phase Detection and Contrast Detection to come up with a calibrated lens environment would be excellent. Olympus already does this.

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-23-2014 at 09:41 AM.
11-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, top of the list, a price high enough to ensure I don't regret having just purchased a K-3 a month ago.

OK, Seriously;

- Built in Wireless and GPS.
- Better grip. The K-3 grip is just a little too narrow. Would prefer a slightly fatter grip like the K10D
- Better battery.
- Articulating screen. I'll trust it will be built robust enough to not be prone to failure. There's a reason
I don't buy cars with retractable headlights. I'll go one step further and suggest:
- Detachable touch screen that can be used as a wireless remote. Now that would really make a splash!
- Weight/size. Just fine as is. Not sure how the camera could be lighter without being less robust. Carbon fiber?
- Video? OK, pack it in to satisfy the punters. Just move that annoying video button to some place out
of the way.
11-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Full-Control tethering to a tablet or PC. My Canon 70D had it via WiFi, but it never worked reliably.
More control over button & dial programming. I like to turn the dial in the direction I want the meter to go, but ISO isn't reversible on the dial.
Sensor tilt for those wide-angle architecture shots.
A focus-screen that supports manual focus at wide apertures but doesn't compromise spot or center-weighted metering.
ISO 64 or 50 (or 32 or 25...)
A better manual with the camera, in real book form. The CD in the package wasn't worth taking out of the package.
11-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Now to combine these two concepts together, you are going to need a lot of images 3 * (4 to 6) = 12 to 18 images. That's at least 1080 seconds or 18 minutes. Probably not going to interest too many landscapers. But the individual concepts in a standalone environment is very doable.
Yep. And they would still be useful for all the genres of stationary objects, product photography, still life, advertisements,.. most of all, it would be a big advantage against Canikon and Sony, against FF (even MF and Foveon), all in a neat Pentax package. Keep in mind, there are already photographers that take a lot of photos to combine them into HDR panoramas, to mimic larger formats, etc. Using SR as a shortcut for this would be genius
11-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice suggestions but so far it would be pretty difficult to make me replace my K-3.

I would jump on a K-3 with the K-5 16 mp sensor that would allow the camera to to everything even faster such as write files, or extend the buffer even more.

I would really be pressed to ignore a focus bracketing feature that could used for macro DOF stacking or just making sure you got the focus right in critical situations.

Completely upping the AF capabilities to match or better the rivals would make me consider a switch.

The others such as flippy screen, wi-fi, video improvements - would be nice to make the camera more sale able but I would just wait for the next gen to get them as they are not important to me ATM.
11-23-2014, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to see less mega pixels and bigger photo sites and the ability to adjust + 20 - 20 on lens adjustment.
11-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Better support for manual focus lenses would be great.
-off-center focus point support
-focus assist tools (screen option)
-wider AF adjustment range
11-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

thinking about it once again, more than a new body I'd appreciate a new telephoto lens.... something in the range of the new Sigma/Tamron 150-600, but razor sharp (and f4...)