Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Need some hurried help

I am ready to make a purchase: K50 and a 18-135wr lens. I have found a used lens on this site for a fair price and was going to look for a good deal on a body only. Then I see the posting for a 15% off at KEH, so I went to take a look. They have a Like new refurb K50 with a 18-135 for $568 +$47.00 tax and $15.00n shipping & insurance. I have never dealt with KEH before, and I am somewhat hesitant to purchase with a 6 month warranty. I do not like after market warranty's as a general rule. How trustworthy is KEH and would it be better to buy from them than get a grey market lens from Abe's?

The sale ends TODAY .... thus the hurried help. Do I take this deal and run? Or do I wait to see what black friday brings?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

11-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH is as good as it gets.

Solid reputation.
11-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what the lens deal on this site is, but look at the K-50 new deals, you can get a free flash, card, small bag for $400, and $20 more gets you 2 years added warranty.
11-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
I am ready to make a purchase: K50 and a 18-135wr lens. I have found a used lens on this site for a fair price and was going to look for a good deal on a body only. Then I see the posting for a 15% off at KEH, so I went to take a look. They have a Like new refurb K50 with a 18-135 for $568 +$47.00 tax and $15.00n shipping & insurance. I have never dealt with KEH before, and I am somewhat hesitant to purchase with a 6 month warranty. I do not like after market warranty's as a general rule. How trustworthy is KEH and would it be better to buy from them than get a grey market lens from Abe's?

The sale ends TODAY .... thus the hurried help. Do I take this deal and run? Or do I wait to see what black friday brings?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
KEH is a very reputable store, but as others have hinted at, you may also way to look at new K-50 kits, like these:

Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Body, Black, Bundle w/Adorama $50 Gift Certificate 10883 A
Pentax K50 DSLR Camera w/DA L 18-55mm WR Lens,Bk,Bundle w/$50.00 Gift Certifcate 10894 A

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a K30 whose pop up flash stopped working at 5 months. KEH replaced it with a K30 in even better condition than the one I sent in and it only had around 200 clicks on it. And they paid for shipping both ways.
11-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
so if the battery charger and lens caps are not listed at KEH, its a safe bet that they are not included?
11-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
so if the battery charger and lens caps are not listed at KEH, its a safe bet that they are not included?
Usually when buying a lens, if it says with caps then you get them and if it doesn't say anything then you don't get caps. With cameras, I haven't bought one since they changed their site layout but it used to say with battery and charger. If it says LN refurbished for the camera you want, KEH says that means 99-100% of new, including original box and instructions. I can't imagine they would omit the battery and charger or lens and body cap, but since you can't call and ask you can always return anything you are not satisfied with within 14 days for a refund. I once sent a lens back that I didn't like and they handled it well.

Last edited by stillshot2; 11-23-2014 at 05:56 PM.
11-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy new

When you buy new you know you" ll get what you expect
11-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I rarely buy new. I have purchased a lot of stuff from KEH and they are one of the best resellers to deal with. 180 day guarantee and you can return anything with no questions asked within 14 days....and they always cover the shipping both ways.
11-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you everyone.
11-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm on pins and needles... What did you decide to do?
11-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
I decided to forgo the KEH discount and see what deals I can find this week on a K50 body with a factory warranty. The suggestions above regarding the body bundles are good deals, so if nothing better comes along this week, that's the direction I'll go. Then I will buy the private party lens and call it a day for a while
11-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amegalo Quote
When you buy new you know you" ll get what you expect
Statistically I have had better luck, lower failure rate, with used equipment than with new. I had a post with the numbers in it somewhere and the results posted by others were similar. A certain percentage of new gear will fail. So will a certain percentage of used gear.
11-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Statistically I have had better luck, lower failure rate, with used equipment than with new. I had a post with the numbers in it somewhere and the results posted by others were similar. A certain percentage of new gear will fail. So will a certain percentage of used gear.
My hesitation with the refurbished equipment is less about proper function and more about getting everything that comes with the camera when new, so I can make a proper comparison on value.
11-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My hesitation with the refurbished equipment is less about proper function and more about getting everything that comes with the camera when new, so I can make a proper comparison on value.
Good point and that requires communication with the seller. KEH is not the most communicative and I always assume if it does not say so in the listing it is not included, so you have to ask. However, selling a camera without a battery charger is not the same as selling a lens without any caps.

Still with the way prices are dropping on 'new' Pentax cameras, used might not be all that cost effective right now. For a long time, KEH prices were dirt cheap on Pentax, because they had an old inventory of gear that was priced at older, lower prices. Currently it seems they are a bit high, again lagging behind the curve as prices have been dropping.