Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Why no third party grips for the K3?

I plan on buying a K3 very soon and would like a battery grip. Weather-sealing isn't really essential so I'd go with a third party one if it were available, but there don't seem to be any.

There are loads of third party grips for the K5 - why none at all for the K3? Or am I missing something?

11-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1) May not be enough of them out there to make it worthwhile.

2) Perhaps the aftermarket K5 grips did not do so well sales wise.

3) With new grips being bundled for free now it is hard to compete with that. I am sure that poeple who don't want them will be selling them at a price that third party makers can not compete with,
11-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you're into whack jobs you can still buy a K-5 grip and adapt it.
There's some adapting to do, since the "green button" and the "AF" are reversed...
Then there's maybe a pin to remove.

Just google "DIY K3 Battery grip"
11-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Agree with the comment above - the grip is often "thrown in" as part of a kit making the real deal nearly free. Hard to compete with that.

11-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The original one will fit better for sure. Since K3 is an high end camera, I think that almost every owner would buy just the original, so no market for the other producers.
11-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
There are loads of third party grips for the K5 - why none at all for the K3?
The D-BG4 K-5 grip (actually, it's the K-7 grip) has been out since mid-2009. That's a long time to design copies and a lot of bodies (K-7/5/II/IIs) to make them for. The D-BG5 has only been out for a year, and it only works on one body. It may not be worth it (yet) for the 3rd-party makers to design one.
11-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I plan on buying a K3 very soon and would like a battery grip. Weather-sealing isn't really essential so I'd go with a third party one if it were available, but there don't seem to be any.

There are loads of third party grips for the K5 - why none at all for the K3? Or am I missing something?
Get one of the deals that includes a free grip and you will be all set. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/280116-k-3-bundle-now-796-b-h.html

11-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Lots of K-3 grips are showing up in the market place, thanks to the recent promotions. If you can't get one of the
bundles because you're not in the US, surely you can find one on the forums.
11-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Forum Member

Just buy the pentax, not that much difference in price, get the factory one lays better
11-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I had a factory Pentax grip on my K10D and an aftermarket grip on the K5. Although the aftermarket worked fine, if I had it to do over again, I would buy the Pentax just because it fits and looks better.
11-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Agree with the comment above - the grip is often "thrown in" as part of a kit making the real deal nearly free. Hard to compete with that.
Not in Europe. The cheapest they can be had is around $200, no freebies, no offers, no nothing.
11-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
The original one will fit better for sure. Since K3 is an high end camera, I think that almost every owner would buy just the original, so no market for the other producers.
This makes good sense. Not being weather sealed may not matter to some but it is one of the reasons we buy Pentax cameras so an unsealed grip would remove some of the value from the camera. To tell you the truth, I get such good use from the LI-90 batteries that I see very little need for a grip of any kind.
11-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I get such good use from the LI-90 batteries that I see very little need for a grip of any kind.
The grip would be very helpful for vertical shots and for the grip in general for people who have big hands like me.
Unfortunately I didn't notice my k50 was not compatible with any battery grip before to buy it.
About the battery, if you travel a second battery already inside would be great, especially if you are not in the best conditions to change it.
11-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
The grip would be very helpful for vertical shots and for the grip in general for people who have big hands like me.
Unfortunately I didn't notice my k50 was not compatible with any battery grip before to buy it.
About the battery, if you travel a second battery already inside would be great, especially if you are not in the best conditions to change it.
Yes, I agree, hand size seems the main reason some people want a grip. I often use my cameras in very rough, dirty terrain but changing the battery has never been an issue. Actually, I almost never change a battery in the field. If the batter is low in the morning I put in a fresh one. But, I do see that our small cameras would be a problem for someone with large hands.
11-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Not in Europe. The cheapest they can be had is around $200, no freebies, no offers, no nothing.
Dang. Wish I could sell mine in Europe then. Looking on eBay the grip often sells for under $75, new or unused.