Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Memory card problem - K3

I have started to get a message on my K3 saying "memry card error". This only applies to slot 2. I have tried swiping cards but that makes no difference. I have reset the camera but that doesn't work. The only thing that seems to work is if I can reformat the card. The problem with doing this is that it takes about 8 tries before it will let me format regardless of the card used. I keep getting the "memory card error" message and it won't allow me to format. Then if I keep trying, eventually it will reformat the card. Of course, I lose any pics on the card. As well, when I get the message, I cannot view any pictures on the card.

Any ideas what the heck is going on?

Thanks for reading my post

Michael J.

12-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

Hi Michael. Have to tried blowing out the compartment of slot 2? The first thing that comes to mind is that there may be some grit or lint in there causing the connection to be shaky.

Also, have you tried formatting a card in the computer first?
12-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Or you could even try inserting a card which was formatted in slot 1.

By trying combinations you can isolate if the card is the problem or the slot.

Also, you do not need to lose the images on the card - remove the card and insert it into an SD slot on or attached to your computer. Does that read images properly.
12-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have tried reversing cards and the problem only occurs in slot 2. This problem only started about 3 days ago. I will try blowing out the compartment. Thanks for the advice guys.

Michael J.

12-26-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Since I owned the K3 I had strange memory card issues, sometimes after removing a card and replacing it, I would get "no card in camera" re-inserting it would clear it, other times I found images on the second card that should have been on the first. This persisted until finally neither card slot recognized a card and the screen displayed "no card in camera" for both slots and effectively the camera could not store a photo. I returned the camera to Pentax in France and they confirmed that fault and said they would have to replace the main board, they had to wait for parts and it took month till I received the camera.
Keep an eye on this as a couple of niggles turned into a dead camera!
12-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
I have started to get a message on my K3 saying "memry card error". This only applies to slot 2. I have tried swiping cards but that makes no difference. I have reset the camera but that doesn't work. The only thing that seems to work is if I can reformat the card. The problem with doing this is that it takes about 8 tries before it will let me format regardless of the card used. I keep getting the "memory card error" message and it won't allow me to format. Then if I keep trying, eventually it will reformat the card. Of course, I lose any pics on the card. As well, when I get the message, I cannot view any pictures on the card.

Any ideas what the heck is going on?

Thanks for reading my post

Michael J.
Hi
I have the same problem using PNY cards updated to latest firmware
And going to try sandisk cards to see if the problem keeps recurring
Neil
12-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Neil, that is what I am using PNY 32 cards. Please let me know if changing card types solves the problem.

Michael J.

12-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #8
Forum Member

Now others mention it, it all started with a Pony 16Gb card, I threw it in the bin!
12-27-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If sd 2 gives you an error, try formatting the card in sd 1 and then putting it in sd 2 to see if it will work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #10
Forum Member

Neil, that is what I am using PNY 32 cards. Please let me know if changing card types solves the problem.

Michael J.
Hi Michael J
Mine are 16gb cards,will let you know if changing card helps
Going out all day Monday to a nature reserve will try the camera
And cards there, if we are not snowed in
Neil
12-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #11
Banned

Michael J.

I had random memory card errors using PNY cards in my K30. Switched to SanDisk and haven't had an error since. Oddly, the PNY's worked well in my K20. Seems each model camera plays differently with certain SD Cards, SanDisk being the one brand that plays well with all models. Have not tried the PNY's in the K3.
01-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
Forum Member

Hi Michael j
Tried a sandisk card in slot one and a micro sd card supplied
By maplins uk in slot two took 139 shots in JPEG and the
K3 never came up with memory card error
Going to get two sandisk 16 gb extreme card to try
Will let you know how they work out
Neil