Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Programmable remote?

Does anyone know of a programmable remote for Pentax DSLRs? I have a K5 and am looking to do longer exposures than 30 seconds; I heard Canon has a remote that lets you plug in your exposure length and I'm just wondering if there's a comparable Pentax product.

Thanks!

12-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

I have found triggertrap. You can control your camera from your ipod-iphone or android phone https://www.google.gr/search?q=triggertrap&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=DWeaVMCAPOTkyAPno4DYDA
I dont know if its a good idea
12-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Interesting. Thank you!

I'm also looking at the Maxstone.
12-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

i think that maxstone its not available. if you find anything about it please share it

12-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Lens Quote
i think that maxstone its not available. if you find anything about it please share it
It's on Amazon. $60.
12-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both Canon and Pentax share the same external plug/jack for an external shutter release. The programmable variety provides a number of features - a user specified number of shots, shutter duration, a fixed delay between shots, so you can mix and match as your needs requires.

The units can be found between $10 and about $60. Most of them look like this....
12-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Both Canon and Pentax share the same external plug/jack for an external shutter release. The programmable variety provides a number of features - a user specified number of shots, shutter duration, a fixed delay between shots, so you can mix and match as your needs requires.

The units can be found between $10 and about $60. Most of them look like this....
Yep... I have one of these and it works great.
I also have "DSLR Remote" on my android phone and it works fine using the IR Blaster built into the phone. There are instructions on the website for setting it up to use Bluetooth through the camera's cable interface but I haven't done that yet. The problem with the IR interface is that often I want to be behind the camera, looking at live view when I trip the shutter but the IR sensor on the camera is in the front.

12-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

I think that'll work. Thank you! Do you know how long of a shutter it can hold?
12-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought the Pentax cameras had the ability to receive IR signals at the back as well as the front? I'm not sure why I think that, but if it isn't I've never really had any issues unless I was directly at the side of my camera.
12-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I thought the Pentax cameras had the ability to receive IR signals at the back as well as the front? I'm not sure why I think that, but if it isn't I've never really had any issues unless I was directly at the side of my camera.
Depends on the model camera. Although I recall seeing someone put a reflector on the ground in front of their camera so that the IR could trigger it from behind, even though it only had a front sensor.
12-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SingingSabre Quote
I think that'll work. Thank you! Do you know how long of a shutter it can hold?
It can vary by the manufacturer, but based on the design - I think it one OEM with a lot of retailers. Not guaranteed but counts of 999 (like 999 images) and times from 1 second to 99 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds.

12-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The one that I have can be set to 99:59:59... 1 second short of 100 hours. In addition there is a "lock" slide switch to hold the shutter open until it is released.

I just checked my K-50 and it will not respond to IR remote commands from behind; I have to be in front of the camera for it to work.
12-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
The one that I have can be set to 99:59:59... 1 second short of 100 hours. In addition there is a "lock" slide switch to hold the shutter open until it is released.

I just checked my K-50 and it will not respond to IR remote commands from behind; I have to be in front of the camera for it to work.
You need a light color surface for the IR beam from behind to bounce.