Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

jpeg file size

I just noticed that comparing the out of camera jpeg file size between my k20d and k3 the size is just about the same?
Setting on both are best for jepg and highest resolution. file size on both cameras turn out between 10-13MB.

So can i conclude that the highest jpeg setting on the k3 is actually lower (more compressed) than on the k20?
In my opinion the file's from the k3 should be bigger with the same quality compression because of the bigger sensor, so what is going on here?

01-31-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
jpg file size has more to do with the details in the picture. You would have to compare a very similar photo with each to really get an idea. But as you say there could be more compression, I would doubt that but I don't know.
01-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot RAW most of the time but due to my forgetting to bring some extra SD cards to an event last weekend, I shot around 400 pictures with my K5 as JPEG's with the highest setting. All my files are in the neighborhood from 8-11MB. The K5 has more megapixels than the K20D also but I'm seeing files sizes even a little smaller. The JPEG file size will vary according to the picture and I don't think it means much. Since I have had to buy 2 new hard drives this year, I don't want my files sizes any bigger. If you're getting 10-13MB files on the K3, that's higher then my 8-11MB on the K5.
01-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bavd Quote
I just noticed that comparing the out of camera jpeg file size between my k20d and k3 the size is just about the same?
Setting on both are best for jepg and highest resolution. file size on both cameras turn out between 10-13MB.

So can i conclude that the highest jpeg setting on the k3 is actually lower (more compressed) than on the k20?
In my opinion the file's from the k3 should be bigger with the same quality compression because of the bigger sensor, so what is going on here?
Are you comparing the two jpeg files taken with both k20d and k3 at the same scene and settings? I find it hard to believe this that they are just about the same.....

01-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Are you comparing the two jpeg files taken with both k20d and k3 at the same scene and settings? I find it hard to believe this that they are just about the same.....
No i am not able to do that because it traded in my k20 for the k3. I just noticed that the file size of jpeg's taken with my k20 are in the same Mb range as my K3. Of course I am aware that the file size differs depending on the subject, but I would have expected an average bigger size of the k3 files. Maybe someone with both camera's (or a k5) could do a quick test (same subject, same lens, same light) to see if there is a marked diffrence?
I would not be surprised if pentax lowered the jpg quality in order to keep the jpg filesize down.... Because if you want high quality you would shoot raw.
01-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Are you sure you are using the same JPEG settings? Sharpening, especially, bumps up the file sizes A LOT.
01-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would not be surprised if pentax lowered the jpg quality in order to keep the jpg filesize down.... Because if you want high quality you would shoot raw.
I doubt this statement is true (I could be wrong)..., I am afraid it is just a figment of your imagination. I have a k-5 and k-3 - same scene, same setting, the file from k-3 is always bigger in JPEG and RAW than the k-5. Both pixel density and resolution in the k-3 sensor are main contributors to bigger file compared to the k-5.

Last edited by aleonx3; 01-31-2015 at 10:05 AM.
01-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I assume you are using the biggest possible size (MP) and top quality.
Thing with jpeg is, that the algorithms are more successful with certain scenes than others, so it really depends on the photo, specifically things like sharpness, amount of details, colours and contrasts, noise.
The other thing is that it is possible the jpeg standards have changed and been improved. So maybe the K-3 can deflate the file size while retaining more detail. I especially suspect this because the K-3 is much newer and has a better CPU.

What you can do is try to recreate a photo taken with the older camera. Use the same lens, same light, same framing, and see what the difference is now.
01-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My K-3 jpeg files range from 12mb to 23.5 mb,depends on the amount of detail in the images.
01-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

From the manual, the k-3 only has 3 jpeg quality levels, Good, Better, and Best. The k-5 series and most earlier flagships had a Premium level (aka "Bestest") on top of that for high octane jpegs.

Did they simply drop "Premium" or re-jig the other settings as well? In most software the highest level jpegs suffer massive diminishing returns in image quality compared to file size. Compare outputs in lightroom at jpeg quality 70, 80, 90 and 100 for example (or your favorite software). Who knows what the pentax in-camera jpegs correspond to, but chopping off the highest level may have been prudent.

It might be interesting to compare file sizes of some k-3 shots at size "M" (gives 14 megapixels) and the various star settings with shots out of the k20 at various star settings. It might also be worth a straight up comparison of "premium" to 'best' in the cameras that have both.

Last edited by BrianR; 01-31-2015 at 01:18 PM.
01-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very few jpegs at best resolution are over 14 mb. The landscapes, portraits, and shots with background just don't have enough detail. The few shots that emerge as jpeg from the K-3 at higher file size are very busy stuff going on from edge to edge of the frame.
01-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would not be surprised if pentax lowered the jpg quality
I think you have a point. Somewhere Pentax changed from 4 star jpeg as the best possible quality to 3 star jpeg as the best possible quality. K5 series still has 4 star, K-01, K30, K50, K-3, K-S1 only have 3 star.

Reason: I don't know.

Pentax specifies the approximate storage capacity in the user manuals; both the K5 series and the K30/50 can store the same amount in 3 star (makes sense as they use the same sensor); that means that the compression algorithm is the same for both at 3 star. And I don't see reasons why the 3 star algorithm in any of the cameras would differ.
K5: 4 star jpeg: 134 images
K5: 3 star jpeg: 214 images
K30: 3 star: 214 images

For the K20D, it's 4x34 = 136 (at 4 star), nearly the same as the K5; also makes sense as the K5 sensor is only a little larger.
01-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well, here is a recent image taken with the DA21. Boring subject but lots of details. The original is 18.3 mb in jpeg Best 3 star.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #14

Noise adds a big deal to jpg size. As K-3 has both lower noise levels and better denoise, it can contribute to smaller jpg files
01-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Typical portrait shots run 9 mb to 12 mg, landscapes rarely approach 14 mg. All are 24 megapixels, however, so the pixels might be interpolated by the jpeg engine in camera when there is foreground and background?