Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash Question

Hi guys,

I have a Pentax 540FGZ flash and it seems to have crapped out. It flashes but the photo isn't illuminated. It's like it's out of sync. I tried it on my K3 and my KX (digital one) and nothing. I must have banged it on something. Any ideas why? I thought about replacing it with a Cactus RF60 because of value and because I have Cactus v6 triggers.

Any thoughts on that?

John

03-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Hi guys,

Pentax 540FGZ flash .. It flashes but the photo isn't illuminated.
Is it on or off the camera?
03-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're using it manually on V6 triggers, the latter have a delayed flash trigger mechanism that you may have accidentally set, which is what enoeske might be thinking. If you been using the V6 triggers, try the 540 directly on the camera, pTTL mode, first curtain trigger.
03-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using the flash directly on the camera. WPRESTO - I might have the curtain switched but it doesn't work on 2 different cameras. I'll check that.

03-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I have a Pentax 540FGZ flash and it seems to have crapped out. It flashes but the photo isn't illuminated. It's like it's out of sync. I tried it on my K3 and my KX (digital one) and nothing.
It would help with diagnosis if you gave us a bit more information about the settings you have tried with it etc. If you haven't already, try it in manual power mode on full power, first curtain sync in a dark room with a longish shutter speed. If it appears to fire close to when the shutter opens and you're still not getting any exposure then it must be firing prior to the shutter opening. Or something else might happen which might shed some light on it (!) I take it your shutter speed is within the sync range of the camera?

I have used the RF60s a bit and they seem good - work great with the V6. It's great not having to worry about another set of batteries for receivers. The down side is no P-TTL of course.
03-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a photoshoot this weekend and I'm using a Profoto lights. I'll look at it closer in a couple of days.