Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Auto Ev compensation question

On the K-5, there is an option in the "C" menu: "Auto Ev compensation". I did not find any detailed explanation of what this actual does. I tried it, did not see much difference. This option is also available in the K-3.
Are some of you having this option selected? What is the advantage/drawback? Thanks.

03-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
On the K-5, there is an option in the "C" menu: "Auto Ev compensation". I did not find any detailed explanation of what this actual does. I tried it, did not see much difference. This option is also available in the K-3.
Are some of you having this option selected? What is the advantage/drawback? Thanks.
I believe it will automatically change your settings to achieve a reasonable exposure when the chosen settings can't. For instance, in TAv mode, you choose shutter and aperture and the camera chooses ISO. Well, if you shoot at f/1.4 and 1 sec shutter in bright daylight, there is no ISO low enough to get a correct exposure. With Auto EV compensation set to ON, it might change your aperture or shutter in order to not overexpose.
03-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks a lot. I also found that this question was already addressed in older topics.
03-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you're able to use a sneaky green 'nanny-mode' while showing everyone a big M (for Master?) on the Mode dial, huh?

03-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I believe it will automatically change your settings to achieve a reasonable exposure when the chosen settings can't. For instance, in TAv mode, you choose shutter and aperture and the camera chooses ISO. Well, if you shoot at f/1.4 and 1 sec shutter in bright daylight, there is no ISO low enough to get a correct exposure. With Auto EV compensation set to ON, it might change your aperture or shutter in order to not overexpose.
It does nothing in Tav mode. But in other modes it moves fixed ISO to auto, to set the exposure within the program curve