Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

metering and histograms on Pentax dSLR's

Since I'm in the market for a dSLR and am not overly committed to my former system (Nikon), I'm taking a hard look at Pentax. Couple questions, please, for the folks who shoot with a K-50 or a K-3... the two that I'm considering.

Do either of these cameras give you quick access to the histogram when reviewing a photo, without having to go into menus? In the D80 I was able to just press a button continuously to cycle between different views, one them being histogram. If I left it in that mode, then the histogram would come up automatically when reviewing a shot.

Is the histogram available in live view?

Finally, is there any sort of exposure feedback (such as for blown out highlights) while composing the shot? Presumably this would be in live view mode.

03-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Do either of these cameras give you quick access to the histogram when reviewing a photo, without having to go into menus?
Don't have a k-50 though I assume it is the same. On k-3 in review mode you press info and use the scroll wheel to go through all the possible displays, there are 5 different ones from nothing to way too much, including both rgb histogram and separate channel histogram displays. And yes the selected mode sticks.
Yes, but only RGB not separate channels AFAIK.
Finally, is there any sort of exposure feedback (such as for blown out highlights) while composing the shot? Presumably this would be in live view mode.
Blinkies, yes in review mode. I don't think so in Live view but I don't use it that much so I'm not 100%. Also the viewfinder display will flash a symbol if you are out of reasonable exposure.
03-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax cameras are the same; toggle the 'info' button while in review.
03-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is the histogram available in live view? Finally, is there any sort of exposure feedback (such as for blown out highlights) while composing the shot? Presumably this would be in live view mode.
Yes to both, in live view and during playback.

Do either of these cameras give you quick access to the histogram when reviewing a photo, without having to go into menus? In the D80 I was able to just press a button continuously to cycle between different views, one them being histogram. If I left it in that mode, then the histogram would come up automatically when reviewing a shot.
The histogram is fairly easy to get to. Just press the info button and select the appropriate histogram screen from the overlay menu. The histogram will then be displayed as you cycle through photos until you swap to a different screen by pressing the info button again.

In the past the screen would change every time you press the info button, but on newer Pentax bodies you have to go in and make a selection:

Standard view

Sub-menu shown after pressing the info button

Single histogram

Multiple histograms

Detailed exif

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fantastic, and thanks for the screenshots
03-29-2015, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Live view is a good way to adjust exposure with histogram, but beyond +-2ev of exposure compensation, the histogram shown in live view is not representative of the histogram you get after taking the photo. Digital preview can be used to check actual histogram.
For lowest noise, spot meter on brightest part of the image + AE Lock and +2EV of exposure compensation give the most right sided histogram without highlight clipping.
For exposure level to render according to human, a incident light meter works great.
03-29-2015, 12:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For lowest noise, spot meter on brightest part of the image + AE Lock and +2EV of exposure compensation give the most right sided histogram without highlight clipping.
Unless I'm mistaken, that sounds like a modified Zone System. You're using the spot meter to first put your brightest object into Zone V (neutral) and then adding 2 stops of light to bring it up to Zone VII. The difference is you'll always have Zone VII present in the image until you bring it down in post.

(I hope I'm close and didn't just embarrass myself )

03-29-2015, 01:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
is there any sort of exposure feedback (such as for blown out highlights)
Sorry I did not answer the question directly: Yes, on the K-3 , there is a exposure feedback such as blown highlight or black pixels, in live view or during image review. This has to be selected in the menu. Blown or total black pixels are highlighted in red / yellow.
03-29-2015, 05:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since I'm in the market for a dSLR and am not overly committed to my former system (Nikon), I'm taking a hard look at Pentax. Couple questions, please, for the folks who shoot with a K-50 or a K-3... the two that I'm considering.

On all my bodies you can set the camera to show either the greyscale or all 4 histograms for review,

Dead simple, take a shot press review
03-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
Forum Member

You might also find that Pentax bodies can meter a little differently than, well, pretty much everything else.
I haven't tried the K3 to compare, but every other Pentax DSLR I've used shoots a different exposure than CaNikon if you're used to shooting manually or manually overriding EV.
03-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Unless I'm mistaken, that sounds like a modified Zone System. You're using the spot meter to first put your brightest object into Zone V (neutral) and then adding 2 stops of light to bring it up to Zone VII. The difference is you'll always have Zone VII present in the image until you bring it down in post.

(I hope I'm close and didn't just embarrass myself )
Yes, you are absolutely correct.

Steve
03-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Informative thread thanks everyone.