Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A camera for my noob daughter?

My 40-year-old daughter spent the weekend with me last week and we went out for a walkabout, and I let her use my K-50. This was her VERY FIRST time ever having anything other than a Box Brownie in her hands, but she was completely enthralled with the whole concept of composition, lighting and just "seeing" things she had never looked for before.

My question is..... her birthday is coming up on the 14th of April and I have the opportunity to buy a very nice K100D with the 18-55mm kit lens for $100.00. I know nothing about the camera model, but I think it MIGHT be a good starting point for her..... ASSUMING the camera didn't have any inherent flaws.

So.... would you recommend this camera for the application as I have in mind?

03-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If she liked the K-50 I'd get her a K-50. It's getting fairly cheap and is light years ahead of the K100D

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If she liked the K-50 I'd get her a K-50. It's getting fairly cheap and is light years ahead of the K100D
That's not the same price Adam Not everybody spend 400-500$ on a present !

I think the K100D is already a great idea and would help her to start. This is sure the high iso performance could be a bit disapointing at times as AF. But you could start with that and if she really like it, change it later...
03-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's a K-x BiN on evilBay for $6...with $149 shipping

03-31-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
My 40-year-old daughter spent the weekend with me last week and we went out for a walkabout, and I let her use my K-50. This was her VERY FIRST time ever having anything other than a Box Brownie in her hands, but she was completely enthralled with the whole concept of composition, lighting and just "seeing" things she had never looked for before.

My question is..... her birthday is coming up on the 14th of April and I have the opportunity to buy a very nice K100D with the 18-55mm kit lens for $100.00. I know nothing about the camera model, but I think it MIGHT be a good starting point for her..... ASSUMING the camera didn't have any inherent flaws.

So.... would you recommend this camera for the application as I have in mind?
I would recommend getting her a K200D instead if you can find one secondhand. It's WR, has SR easy to use, and has fantastic IQ. It's aged quite well, though it suffers in low light.

KEH has one in "excellent" condition for $218. No, it's not $100 but it's a really good value for the money.

https://www.keh.com/241793/pentax-k200d-digital-camera-body-10-2-m-p
03-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought a mint second hand pink & white k-s1 for just over half the current retail price (as a present). So there are some really good deals about - especially now people are selling off their apsc kits to fund FF....

I'd probably echo what adam says and look more towards a second hand k30/k50/k5 (and if that's out of your price range, maybe get other family members to contribute, or simply make her a cash contribution towards a camera)

Alternatively, use this as an excuse to upgrade your own kit, and give her the k50?
03-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A used K-x or K-r would be another good choice. Not as luxurious as the K-50, but still fairly modern when it comes to tech.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

No green button on K-100, no green light...

You don't miss it when you don't have it but now I have it on My K-3 and K-100 feels harder to use. Actually I'm just lazy but the feeling is there.
03-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

K-x +18-55 for U$130 in the marketplace, I am just saying... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/291755-sal...x-18-55-a.html
03-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
That's not the same price Adam Not everybody spend 400-500$ on a present !

I think the K100D is already a great idea and would help her to start. This is sure the high iso performance could be a bit disapointing at times as AF. But you could start with that and if she really like it, change it later...

EXACTLY! She very well might change her mind and decide she wants to get into throwing clay pots or some such! So, I'm not wanting to spend $500 on a whim. Plus, I don't have that kind of money to spend on a birthday present. I have two K-50s and at some point in the near future, I'm going to buy a K-3..... and if she liked the K100D and stuck with photography, then I would pass down one of my K-50's to her.

Back to my original question...... does the K100D have any inherent faults that would preclude it from consideration for the purpose intended?
03-31-2015, 02:47 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to my original question...... does the K100D have any inherent faults that would preclude it from consideration for the purpose intended?
Other than not having contacts for the KAF3 lenses? Not really.
03-31-2015, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

EXACTLY! She very well might change her mind and decide she wants to get into throwing clay pots or some such! So, I'm not wanting to spend $500 on a whim. Plus, I don't have that kind of money to spend on a birthday present. I have two K-50s and at some point in the near future, I'm going to buy a K-3..... and if she liked the K100D and stuck with photography, then I would pass down one of my K-50's to her.

I think the K100D is a nice thing to have a try on this. I used some of the older models in the past. Bought them for just a try and sell them afterwards. Not loosing to much money. They need small older cards, since probably 16GB will be the max after the newest firmware.

One other option is to get your birthsdaypresent early and give her one of your own K-50's as a loan. If she will go back to claypot throwing then just sell it.
03-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
That's a decent deal if it all works ok. The K-x runs on AA batteries which can be nice, especially for someone not into cameras and all the special batteries and chargers. I ran mine on Eneloops with very good results for years. Now my 12 year old son uses it and he loves it too.
The main drawback to the K-x is you can't see what focal point is being used (no red dot in the viewfinder). I just kept mine on center point AF so I knew where it was focusing and it worked out well for me.
A much more modern camera than the K-100. It's also smaller which might be a plus or not but it seems non-photographers almost always prefer a smaller camera.

If you can find a K-r it's basically the same but with the red dot and the option to use AA or proprietary batteries.

Last edited by mattb123; 03-31-2015 at 03:09 PM.
03-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Other than not having contacts for the KAF3 lenses? Not really.
Or having a REALLY LOUD SHUTTER/MIRROR. It's kind of embarrassing. Otherwise a fine starter camera.
03-31-2015, 03:00 PM   #15

The k100D doesn't have "live view", as far as I remember ... that may be relevant ...