Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #1

hi i'm in to video these days,and love pentax,so which camera is best for video ?

i put my eyes on friend's nx1 and his wife's nx500
4k video ,sharp,ok wierd codec but small files on sdcard,plus can use pentax lenses
vs
pentax way is only full hd ?
i read that k3ll will have some way of 4k shooting but ??

or just wait for k4 somwhere in 2016 ?
thanks

uh mean in quality od video (sharpnes,lens tracking etc) ,and compared to fullhd and 4k in sony
cameras this 4k give better and sharper image in fullhd ,not just 4k

Last edited by dr100hr; 04-25-2015 at 10:24 PM.
04-26-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dr100hr Quote
i put my eyes on friend's nx1 and his wife's nx500
4k video ,sharp,ok wierd codec but small files on sdcard,plus can use pentax lenses
vs
pentax way is only full hd ?
i read that k3ll will have some way of 4k shooting but ??

or just wait for k4 somwhere in 2016 ?
thanks

uh mean in quality od video (sharpnes,lens tracking etc) ,and compared to fullhd and 4k in sony
cameras this 4k give better and sharper image in fullhd ,not just 4k
Pentax isn't at the cutting edge of video technology. I'd stick to another camera or a dedicated camcorder if that's your primary interest.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2015, 03:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
not main but love to have foto + good video cam
will k3ll have "active" lens in video mode ?
or is it only manual in video rec mode ?
and how good is sharpness ?
i guess with this pixel shift will be great but ??
04-26-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

not main but love to have foto + good video cam
As do we all
will k3ll have "active" lens in video mode ?
no
or is it only manual in video rec mode ?
yes
and how good is sharpness ?
depends on lens and settings, generally video is softer.
i guess with this pixel shift will be great but ??
not used in video mode

04-26-2015, 04:09 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Sadly Pentax isn't really for Professional video. Perhaps get other brands but adapt Pentax glass on it?
04-26-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can adapt pentax glass to some sony cameras. But then again, Pentax is fine for an amateur. Check out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/293886-my-first-music-video.html
04-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Depends on the kind of videos you want to shoot, and how. The K-5 series was great thanks to a codec not concerned with file sizes... huge files (you can make them smaller later) and good quality. Canon did the same (even same codec) with their top of the line professional 1Dc, which is meant for video.

The shake reduction was also a useful tool to let you get nice shots handheld. Wouldn't mistake them for a tripod or steadicam rig, but it is still great, if you want a more handheld look (that doesn't look crappy and wobbly).

Heat and manual controls are a problem though. The K-3 fixes that, but screwed up the great codec and the shake reduction.

The NX1 is great, but keep in mind that only some Samsung lenses are stabilized. For the rest you need to use additional gear to stabilize the camera (for the K-3 that is also an absolute requirement, and for pretty much every lens). The Olympus OM-D E-M5 II drops the 4K, but does stabilize very well (though I prefer the look of Pentax' stabilization, it is more organic, moves more with you. The Olympus corrects more, but it looks... artificial).

You can wait for Pentax. But I wouldn't, unless you have a camera you are already happy with. I am with my K-5, so I can wait a couple of years. But Pentax has not done anything in the past... 5 years? Barely any improvement, and in some ways they got worse than what they already had. User feedback is ignored. So I would really not hold my breath.

Maybe when they have lost their customers they will do something... but I doubt it. It's a brand with great potential, but they don't realize it.

That doesn't mean you can't do good stuff with a Pentax. But nothing Pentax offers on the video side isn't matched by other brands. You can get the cheaper D5300, and it will run circles around the K-3 II. So will the better Olympus models. Panasonic of course. Sony. Samsung. To a certain degree even Canon, and they have artificially limited their video capabilities. They don't want their DSLRs to offer good video! If you buy a new camera and mostly care about video, look elsewhere. Chances are you will find something better.

04-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
CDW
Site Supporter

I think the K5 would be a great solution if you want to shoot high quality stills and reasonably good 1080P. That said, 4K files, downsized to 1080 in post look far better in virtually all respects. I found the Panasonic GH4 a perfect solution for my needs. It's built to pro standards (body and weather resistance). The m4/3s still files are excellent. If I need to push beyond 24" wide I can shoot a larger format. The 4K video is superb for the investment involved and easy to edit compared to the codec from an NX1. I can use virtually any lens with adapters. I've even used some of my Pentax 645 lenses using stacked adapters. There is a huge range of lenses for the camera from Panasonic/Leica and Olympus. My opinion, FWIW.