Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

DSLR in hot weather?

Hi guys,

Long time Pentax user - had my K-x since around March 2010 and still going strong.

Visiting North Africa / Egypt next week with a friend, considering bringing my camera and a prime or two, weather expected to be around 40-45c (104-113f)

Are DSLR's happy to operate in these temperatures? It's white, so should be slightly happier in the sun than a black camera, just concerned about damaging it!

Thanks

05-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LouisVarn Quote
Are DSLR's happy to operate in these temperatures? It's white, so should be slightly happier in the sun than a black camera, just concerned about damaging it!
A weather-sealed camera like the K-50 would certainly be happy to operate up to 40 degrees C per the specs. Try to keep your camera in the shade whenever possible and you should be fine.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using my Pentax DSLRs (K7, K5, K5ii, K3, even K-01) in the Arizona and Utah deserts during the hottest part of summer for years without a single heat related problem. Temperatures are often at or above 110 when I use the cameras. The Q has real problems with the heat but the DSLRs have been very reliable.
05-22-2015, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

It gets steaming hot here in the summers (100++ F) and here is my advice.

Never leave your camera in the direct sunlight for a long time.

Never leave your camera in the car with the windows up no matter what. Carry it if you have to. Lenses too. If you do need to put it in the car put it in the trunk.

If you are going in and out of the AC the drastic temp changes can fog everything up. Let your camera acclimate on a day to day hour to hour basis.

The temp alone won't bother anything. If anything at all I would be careful about using live view. I over heated a camera body once and got a warning light because I was heavily using live view. This may or may not be related to the outside temp, but it certainly didn't help.

05-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

Never leave your camera in the car with the windows up no matter what. Carry it if you have to. Lenses too. If you do need to put it in the car put it in the trunk.

If you are going in and out of the AC the drastic temp changes can fog everything up. Let your camera acclimate on a day to day hour to hour basis.

The temp alone won't bother anything. If anything at all I would be careful about using live view. I over heated a camera body once and got a warning light because I was heavily using live view. This may or may not be related to the outside temp, but it certainly didn't help.
I regularly overheat my K-5 while shooting video... I get more hot pixels while it is hot, but otherwise I haven't found any problems. My camera is still alive, and I overheat it quite often.
05-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

45c should be okay for still images. High ISO may show more noise than at cooler temperatures. Extended length video and live view can overheat the sensor but not damage it; the camera automatically shuts down if the internal heat exceeds some limit.

A DSLR is better than a mirrorless in heat because of the optical viewfinder.
05-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A weather-sealed camera like the K-500 would certainly be happy to operate up to 40 degrees C per the specs. Try to keep your camera in the shade whenever possible and you should be fine.
Forgive me, but the K-500 is not weather sealed to the best of my knowledge. No idea how this changes heat adaptation, though.

05-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Forgive me, but the K-500 is not weather sealed to the best of my knowledge. No idea how this changes heat adaptation, though.
50, sorry! Typo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2015, 10:53 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

+1 with alamo500 for excellent advice.

I would add:
-During daylight carry your camera in a bag to avoid the camera being in direct sunlight.

-If you leave the camera the car trunk, consider to place it in an cooler bag.

My 5 cents..

Last edited by hcc; 05-23-2015 at 12:57 AM.
05-24-2015, 02:32 AM   #10

Original Poster
thanks guys, i think i'll do my best to keep the dust out of it, should be a good trip!
05-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

And if you have any vintage lenses, definitely don't leave them sitting in the heat. Heat can cause older petroleum based grease on focusing helicoids to separate and run into the aperture, causing a sluggish response. When I'm worried about heat or long term storage, I store mine with the mount up so any oil will flow down away from the aperture. I'd rather notice a little oil in the edge of the front element than realize too late that I have a sluggish aperture. It's also easier to clean a little oil off the front element than disassemble and clean an aperture. (I've done both before.)
05-25-2015, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LouisVarn Quote
DSLR in hot weather?
Keeping drinking cold beers... my cameras always seem to work fine after that.
05-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

now that's sound advice! cheers!