Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K3 Battery Grip - dials

I seem to have an ongoing problem with the dials on the battery grip. When I turn the grip on to have orientation flexibility for shots I tens to move the dials when I use the camera. Since I shoot mostly wildlife I often do not check exposure for each shot, while I check exposure I could lose a good shot. I am to the point where I might just use the grip without the controls. Another gotcha for me is the different placement of the AF button since I use back button focus. Just curious if others have this problem.

08-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I seem to have an ongoing problem with the dials on the battery grip. When I turn the grip on to have orientation flexibility for shots I tens to move the dials when I use the camera. Since I shoot mostly wildlife I often do not check exposure for each shot, while I check exposure I could lose a good shot. I am to the point where I might just use the grip without the controls. Another gotcha for me is the different placement of the AF button since I use back button focus. Just curious if others have this problem.
nope.
08-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the problem with changing exposure that you mentioned but I'll agree with you on the positioning of the AF button. The grip on the K-5 had the AF button in the same position relative to the thumb ad the camera body did. Both the green button and the AF button were to the left of the thumb, one atop the other. With the K-3 the thumb has to move up to hit the AF button on the camera but to the left on the grip. I think these changes were made to accommodate the still/movie switch on the camera. Since I never take movies, if I had more money for goofy projects I'd pay a technician to rework the green button to become the AF button, then take the movie switch off the camera and replace it with a green button. Pentax, who is usually known for its user-friendly ergonomics, didn't think this through, IMO. I believe this has been discussed to death and Pentax didn't see fit to change it on the K-3 II so I've given up hope of a fix.
08-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just got a K-3 and just started using back-button AF. I first experimented with back-button AF on my K10D, but I had a cheap knock-off grip with no AF button, so I ended up going back to shutter-button AF. Now that I'm trying it again, I love it! Anyhow, with the K-3, it was a little weird at first (up on camera, left on grip), but I've mostly gotten used to it. The grip feels different enough for me to remember which is which. Although, I still mix them up, sometimes I hit green on the body, or menu from the grip when trying to AF. What has bugged me more is that the AF button won't wake the camera, I'm used to the camera going to sleep, then I wake it up automatically when I try to take a photo.

I don't generally bump the grip dials, but I do bump the shutter fairly regularly, especially when showing someone a photo on the screen. "What are you showing me? The screen is black."

08-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was surprised I couldn't leave the camera switch off and turn on the camera using the grip.
08-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

The grip switch is only used to switch on and off the grip controls
08-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stumpy Quote
The grip switch is only used to switch on and off the grip controls
Yup. I know that now. I just found it annoying. I have a habit of flipping the switch off on the camera which makes a vertical shot a hit or miss thing if I forgot to turn it back on. LOL.